NMO Base Antenna help... 536/436HP NMO Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

arista5

I bought a new truck and there is an NMO antenna mount already installed to the roof. I personally dont like the 16-18' antenna that is currently installed. I have the Larsen tri band and love it... just dont want the antenna sticking so high off the roof as it hits the garage doors and and roofs of parking garages.

I am looking for a low profile type. just dont know of any good NMO Tri Band options.

thank you for the help

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I bought a new truck and there is an NMO antenna mount already installed to the roof. I personally dont like the 16-18' antenna that is currently installed. I have the Larsen tri band and love it... just dont want the antenna sticking so high off the roof as it hits the garage doors and and roofs of parking garages.

I am looking for a low profile type. just dont know of any good NMO Tri Band options.

thank you for the help

Tri-band keeps you pretty well limited to what you have.
There are lower profile 800 and UHF antennas that can work well. VHF, the low profile antennas suck.

Usually not an issue if the antenna touches a garage door or parking garage. They'll take it, to a certain extent. You could add a spring at the base, which would help.
Or just get out and remove it.

arista5

I will look into the spring. the antenna is in the center of the roof on a Suburban. Not an easy place to get out and unscrew each day.

do you have any suggestions on a location to purchase a spring (link) I have never had to look/find/order one of those.

thank you

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Honestly the best antenna I found to use with a scanner on a NMO is a simple 18' vhf quarter wave. I use an Antenna Specalists Mosaic with a spring. Thick whip that can resists branches.

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
Laird Technologies - 150/450/800
Great antenna I just installed one on my truck for my 536HP. Picked up WX 40 miles away while the truck was parked in my metal roofed garage!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I will look into the spring. the antenna is in the center of the roof on a Suburban. Not an easy place to get out and unscrew each day.

Got it. Taking them off each time isn't a good solution if you are always in and out of low clearance locations.

do you have any suggestions on a location to purchase a spring (link) I have never had to look/find/order one of those.

thank you

Chrome: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-spring-3877
Black: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-springb-3878

You'll need to shorten the whip by the same length as the spring.

The springs work pretty well. The wide band 1/4 wave Larsen whips have these, as do the 800MHz antennas. I've got an F-350 at work that has both antennas on it. They've hit a few tree branches, and they bend back no problem. A bit noisy when they bounce back into position, though.

The good news is that most full size American vehicles have strong enough sheet metal that it won't hurt them unless you hit it really low near the base.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Honestly the best antenna I found to use with a scanner on a NMO is a simple 18' vhf quarter wave. I use an Antenna Specalists Mosaic with a spring. Thick whip that can resists branches.

Yeah, that's a good solution. The whips are thin enough that they'll take it and spring right back.
A 1/4 wave VHF Antenna will be 3/4 wave on UHF, so they tend to work well. Probably not going to perform as well on 700/800, though, but better than nothing.

Nice thing about them is that they are dirt cheap, so even if it does take a permanent bend, you can easily replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.