Best Antenna for the Attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobilman44

I've got plenty of room in the attic of my 2 story house to "hang" an antenna for a Uniden 436. From what I've learned, this is the "most bang for the buck" upgrade I can get for improved reception.

My plan is to hang it from the rafters, run the cable thru the hobbyroom closet ceiling, and set up a connection on a work table.

So my obvious question is, what type do you all recommend, and do you have any other advice on the project.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A discone would be a good option, as long as it isn't the type with the vertical whip on top. They won't fit in a typical attic.

prcguy

What bands or frequency ranges do you need?

I've got plenty of room in the attic of my 2 story house to "hang" an antenna for a Uniden 436. From what I've learned, this is the "most bang for the buck" upgrade I can get for improved reception.

My plan is to hang it from the rafters, run the cable thru the hobbyroom closet ceiling, and set up a connection on a work table.

So my obvious question is, what type do you all recommend, and do you have any other advice on the project.

BITT211

attic antenna setup

search > radioreference threads > ominx vs browning 6157 , shows picture of my attic setup , monitoring all uhf band , hope this helps,

RogueSteward

A discone would work good. Since you're looking at receiving V/UHF, low loss cable like LMR400 is also a major consideration for improved reception and will help to pick up those fringe low power transmissions.

Mobilman44

I'm a rookie at this, but it appears my main interest is the 400 and 800 bands plus possibly 100 bands.

If I expressed this incorrectly, please advise.

Thank you!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
OmniX Scanner Base Antenna from DPD Productions
http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_scanner.html#omnix

Attachments

• omnix2_new_big (Phone).jpg
    omnix2_new_big (Phone).jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 800

kma371

QRT
These are good:

Untitled

Doesn't need to be mounted to a vent , can just be attached to a beam in the attic. And these also have gain where the Discone does not.

NYRHKY94

+1 for the OmniX. Been using one for years, both outside and now inside (second floor shack pointed out a dormer window). My experience has been excellent on most bands. Currently have it hooked to my BCD536HP for monitoring a P25 800 MHz system that's about 35 miles away.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
+1 for the OmniX. Been using one for years, both outside and now inside (second floor shack pointed out a dormer window). My experience has been excellent on most bands. Currently have it hooked to my BCD536HP for monitoring a P25 800 MHz system that's about 35 miles away.

Add me to the list of happy OmniX owners. I am using it inside until I get my new mast up, but even inside it is receiving signals I've never before received. The quality is first-rate, too. Dave makes a great antenna in the OmniX ... money well spent!

vocoder

I love my omnix, in fact i have 2, best all around antenna yet. Works great vhf hi, 400mhz, 800mhz

See #8 above

Last edited:

Mobilman44

Well, I've done enough research to come to the conclusion that the OmniX would be my best bet for an attic antenna. I went to order it and realized I have no clue as to the cable ends I would need to fit the OmniX on one end and the Uniden 436 on the other.

Does anyone have the answer??? And, suggestions where to buy the cable?

Note, I tried to contact dpdproductions but was unsuccessful.

Thank you!

mule1075

Feed Provider
How long of a run of cable?
Well, I've done enough research to come to the conclusion that the OmniX would be my best bet for an attic antenna. I went to order it and realized I have no clue as to the cable ends I would need to fit the OmniX on one end and the Uniden 436 on the other.

Does anyone have the answer??? And, suggestions where to buy the cable?

Note, I tried to contact dpdproductions but was unsuccessful.

Thank you!

mule1075

Feed Provider
Keep your run as short as possible. If you do not want to use any adapters you will need coax with a N male for the antenna end and a bnc for the scanner end if you are using the bnc adapter on the scanner. I also recommend a small flexible jumper to attach to the scanner to ease the stress on the bnc connection.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Here is a crude put together but it might give you an idea.
2fa570bdab5dbf208c9dde1672d2ce3c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.