Good way to use mobile antenna on a camper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
We just upgraded from a pop-up camper to a hybrid (hard side camper with fold down canvas on the ends for the beds). When we camp I like to bring my scanner to see what I can pick up and if we are close to a rail line my ATCS radios.

My antennas are mag mount and previously if possible I would park right next to the camper and run the coax through one of the openings in the canvas, but with this new camper I won't be able to do this. I'm curious what ideas others might have come up with to be able to use mag mount antennas on a camper that a mag mount antenna won't stick to and work properly. I'd rather not modify the camper if possible.

Thanks!

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Get some 16 gauge sheet metal from tractor supply (can’t be stainless) and epoxy it to the roof where you want your mag mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If the camper roof is aluminum, it will still act as a ground plane, but obviously the magnet won't stick. If you remember to take it down before driving off, it would be fine.

My brother in law mounted an NMO mount to the top of his trailer for a 2 meter antenna.

Putting a piece of sheet metal on the roof would work fine, but if you leave it up there long term, it's going to rust and likely leave some ugly stains down the side.

Another choice is to get a simple base antenna and a length of conduit or pipe. Attach it temporarily to the trailer tongue and run the cable inside.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Are you able to remote the scanner? Maybe leave it in the tow vehicle, and use the remote option to listen to it.

Sent using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The camper roof is most likely a rubber or EPDM membrane. Epoxy is a BAD, BAD idea.

Openroadsradio.net is a ham/rv forum with lots of info on getting coax into the rv and antenna choices.

You should be able to get coax in through the opening for the shore line.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Are you able to remote the scanner? Maybe leave it in the tow vehicle, and use the remote option to listen to it.

Sent using Tapatalk

No I only have an inexpensive handheld scanner. Also the ATCS stuff requires a laptop. But that does give me an idea if I'm at a site with power and I can easily get AC power into the vehicle I could leave the laptop and ATCS radios in the vehicle and remote desktop to the radios via a tablet, it would require either internet or cell signal but that could simplify things when I have those things available. When we are at a site without power I'll be running on solar and it might not be as practical.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
TV antennas work well for scanners IF you switch them to vertical polarization. I’ve yet to see a camper antenna that will allow that easily be done. BUT try connecting your scanner anyway... better than using indoor antenna.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
No I only have an inexpensive handheld scanner. Also the ATCS stuff requires a laptop. But that does give me an idea if I'm at a site with power and I can easily get AC power into the vehicle I could leave the laptop and ATCS radios in the vehicle and remote desktop to the radios via a tablet, it would require either internet or cell signal but that could simplify things when I have those things available. When we are at a site without power I'll be running on solar and it might not be as practical.

You could use WiFi peer to peer mode, or set up a WiFi access point.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.