New mobile decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
So for years, I have been using an Austin Spectra on my vehicle. I am looking to possibly replace it with a different NMO mount, so I can just replace the whip and not the cable,

I have had it for many years, and as time has passed I am now more focused on trunked systems, primarily 400-500 and 700-800. There are some places I go where there are some 140-150 range, but not many.

Anyone feel strongly about a brand/model?

lou9155

how does the austin spectra do recieving? i have the larsen triband which recieves quite well but im always open to better things. i listen to 150/500/800

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
how does the austin spectra do recieving? i have the larsen triband which recieves quite well but im always open to better things. i listen to 150/500/800

I have been very pleased with the Spectra for years. I guess I just I now am wondering if the grass is greener... :)

The advantage of having the NMO mount is being able to just change to any other NMO to try it out, I guess.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
The Larsen tri-band and Maxrad BMAXSCAN1000 both work well for VHF/UHF/800. I'm on a trip right now in the north east dragging a mag mount Maxrad wtih me and its working great.

Would I run into issues with a 500 MHz system? It seems this range is not listed on the Larsen or Maxrad.

questnz

On excellent advice of one of the antenna experts on this forum I purchased Larsen and Laird NMO 150/450/800 on band plan where I live.
Surprisingly both are very good across my spectrum from 75.xxx MHz (not listed) Air (not listed) and 485.xxx. Don't hesitate it will work fine. Can't really tell the difference although leaning towards Larsen as a main antenna. PS All used as receiving only antennas.

Last edited:

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
On excellent advice of one of the antenna experts on this forum I purchased Larsen and Laird NMO 150/450/800 on band plan where I live.
Surprisingly both are very good across my spectrum from 75.xxx MHz (not listed) Air (not listed) and 485.xxx. Don't hesitate it will work fine. Can't really tell the difference although leaning towards Larsen as a main antenna. PS All used as receiving only antennas.

Thanks!

N5TWB

You'd be surprised how well a basic 1/4-wave VHF @ 19" receives from VHF-Low through 800 MHz. Lots of receiving for very little money.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
You'd be surprised how well a basic 1/4-wave VHF @ 19" receives from VHF-Low through 800 MHz. Lots of receiving for very little money.

My suggestion, as well. I have two scanners in my vehicle. One uses a splitter to the AM//FM antenna and the other uses a vhf quarter wave. The vhf quarter wave scanner is basically dedicated to an 800 digital system and does great.

yeg_scan

Just thought as we are talking antenna results here, here are my measurements of signal strength for 4 antennas that I did this morning.

First .. measured with an Icom R7000 (calibrated RSSI).

Antennas involved .. Laird VHF 1/4 wave, Laird UHF 1/4 wave, Larsen TriBand scanner antenna, Diamond D130 Discone (outside) bolted on balcony. All the other antennas are inside on a NMO mag mount with ground plane.

162.4000 MHz

Laird VHF - S8
Laird UHF - S5
Larsen Tri - S8
Discone - S9+10

453.0125 MHz

Laird VHF - S6
Laird UHF - S7
Larsen Tri - S5
Discone - S8

867.0375 MHz

Laird VHF - S5
Laird UHF - S5
Larsen Tri - S6
Discone - S8

Myself .. I am just doing a mobile scanner install today, and the antenna of choice, either the Larsen Tri Band or VHF 1/4 wave.

Last edited:

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I've been using the Larsen tri band on my vehicle for years. Have it split to two radios (HP-2 and BCT-15) Not the greatest on VHF lo band. Excellent from VHF-Hi and up.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
The longer a VHF band antenna is the better it will do on VHF Low Band, other then that I also recommend the Larsen Tri-bander because of its tough build and large freq band coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.