Balun for receiving (longwire antenna)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quebec337

Hi,

Well....I'm not to familiar with antennas, but would like to know the best Balun to buy to plug with my longwire antenna. I like the Buxcomm MMLW91. Would it be a good choice ? What would you recommand ? Thanks so much ! Matt

Quebec337

OK. let me rephrase : what would be the best improvement to a longwire antenna for listening between 1.5 to 30 Mhz ?

Ubbe

OK. let me rephrase : what would be the best improvement to a longwire antenna for listening between 1.5 to 30 Mhz ?

A tuner, that you'll need to tune to the frequency you'll be listening to. If you have stored different frequencies in different bands in memory and slowly scan them, the tuner will make the situation worse. It's only for narrow band listening and then manually switch and tune to be able to listen to other frequencies.

In comparison a loop antenna with an amplifier, like the ALA-1530, covers the whole frequency range without tuning. There's really no other user friendly solution. https://www.wellbrook.uk.com/loopantennas/Loop_Antennas/ALA1530LN

/Ubbe

prcguy

I agree, the PAR end fed SW antenna is probably the most trusted wire type short wave antenna going. Its basically a 9:1 transformer and many people make 9:1 types but you don't really know the quality or makeup of the transformer unless its got a lot of reviews. LNR/PAR is well known and has very good ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.