How can I secure Discone antenna elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a TRAM 1411 and started putting it together. Owning a few discones in the past I remember 2 cons of these type of antennas. First is the elements can get broken fairly easy, which I can't do anything about that. Second was the elements coming unscrewed and falling out over time. This is the issue I am trying to address. The 2 thoughts were a drop of super glue on the nut and the element, other thought is trying to solder them. I'd rather go with the super glue as long as it will not degrade the RF receive signal.
Thoughts..Advice??

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Blue loctite. It will keep the threads from vibrating loose, but still allows disassembly without heating.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Buy better discones. The Diamond ones have locking set screws to hold the elements in place. The elements are solid rods. They also can be ordered with N connectors. I had cheap discones like RS. You get what you pay for.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Buy better discones. The Diamond ones have locking set screws to hold the elements in place. The elements are solid rods. They also can be ordered with N connectors. I had cheap discones like RS. You get what you pay for.
Not sure why you thought you needed to tell the OP to buy a better antenna. Clearly that is not the info the OP was seeking.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Not sure why you thought you needed to tell the OP to buy a better antenna. Clearly that is not the info the OP was seeking.

Clearly his existing antenna will fail as do all inexpensive discones. Using locking compound will only put a bandaid on the problem. I learned this after three RS discones failed or broke. May not be the answer he wanted, but it is the answer.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Clearly his existing antenna will fail as do all inexpensive discones. Using locking compound will only put a bandaid on the problem. I learned this after three RS discones failed or broke. May not be the answer he wanted, but it is the answer.
- The Tram 1411 has set screws.
- The RS discones have set screws.
- I have enjoyed using an RS discone for over a decade. No elements lost, fallen nor broken using only the set screws.

Clearly, your experience with inexpensive discones differs from others. I am glad you found a solution with the Diamond.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
The RS Discone on my house survived Hurricane Irma last year. The top portion of my mast bent about 10 degrees but the RS Discone still works fine with no damage. If you properly tighten the set screws, you will not have any problems but I like the idea of using Loctite as a backup. My vertical fiberglass was damaged and my Dipole was completely destroyed. I can still drive by an apartment I lived in 20 years ago and the RS Discone I installed then is still there today undamaged. Like I see on these forums all the time, YMMV.

prcguy

I don't think elements coming loose at the set screws are a big problem with the Tram, Workman, etc brands. There was a problem with RS Discones where the solid threaded end of the element was pushed into the SS tubing elements and crimped, and the crimp fails and the elements fall off.

I read somewhere within the last week on eham or QRZ or ?? where a guy had a very in depth discussion on the Tram and Workman style antennas about water getting into the hub and corrosion and other problems over time. I don't remember elements coming loose as one of his complaints.

Edit: I might add that after experiencing a couple of crimped element failures on RS Discones, I drilled out the hubs and made larger 3/16" solid aluminum elements and now those Discones are bullet proof. I also used anti corrosion grease between the aluminum elements and brass hub then gave the antenna several coats of paint to extend its life.

Last edited:

Look before you make verbal assumptions...the TRAM 1411 Does have locking nuts. It is just as good as Diamond which I had in the past.

bob550

Premium Subscriber

I guess my RS Discone didn't get the memo. I have one that's been in service for over 20 years with no lost elements!

Status
Not open for further replies.