best antenna for TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

downsrep

What is the best antenna besides the duck to use with my Whistler TRX-1? I have a Diamond RH77CA I was using on my old Radio Shack digital scanner. It seems to pick up more on the RS then when I hook it up to the Whistler. When I go to railfan, I hear trains further away with the RS and the Diamond then with the Whistler and the Diamond. I'm concerned because I paid good money for the Whistler and want to get the best possible.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The antenna isn't likely the problem, antennas only care about the frequency being received and the impedance of the rceiver they are connected to.

The RH77CA is one of the better general-purpose scanner antennas. If you connect the same antenna to two different radios and consistently get different reception results, it's probably not the antenna. If you can, get a splitter to connect the antenna to both radios at the same time, to verify that the differences are due to radio performance, and not the signal. But if you do, the most likely result is going to be that the RS is receiving better than the TRX.

downsrep

It's also interesting how in my house with the Whistler I can pickup Chicago police (I'm in the western suburbs) but not stuff that is a little closer.

Ubbe

I guess that the Chicago police are on 700-800MHz band and railroad are on the 160MHz band?

The Whistler scanners seems to do worst in the 160MHz band. It could be the result of that they have one single front-end filter to handle the whole 75-198MHz range. The narrower filter you use the better the rejection to interferencies and overload which both could reduce the sensitivity depending of your radio enviroment where you use the scanner.

Unidens modern scanners use 4 different filters for that same frequency range and I have no problem with my BCD536 in the 160MHz range compared to the TRX-2 which displays some problems in my home on Marine 156-162MHz range and the 166MHz band.

/Ubbe

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
I just bought the Remtronics 800mhz antenna (like the famous R/S antenna) for my TRX 1 and it made a world of difference on 800 mhz systems. Also works well in the 480 mhz range.

majoco

Stirrer
Don't forget that UHF, and to some extent VHF, suffer from signal peaks and nulls on a small antenna especially in a built-up environment. Reflections and direct paths sometimes add and other times may subtract so you may find that you only have to move a few feet to change the signal strength. Of course, outside on a clear site works best.

KN4C

I have tried the Remtronics 800mhz antenna on my TRX-1 and it works well on my local simulcast system, but not very good on VHF. I purchased the RC77CA and it is better on VHF, but on simulcast I get a lot of distortion.

Anyone had this problem with RC77CA? Could it be a bad antenna? Any suggestions?

KN4C

I think I solved my problem by moving the radio 6" to the right of my D4 charger. The RC77CA is apparently more sensitive than the Remtronics 800 and was picking up the D4 or my floor lamp.

questnz

In my collection for all round reception
RC77CA
Watson W881
Watson 801 - it is used as favorite out the vehicle short antenna, easy to conceal

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have tried the Remtronics 800mhz antenna on my TRX-1 and it works well on my local simulcast system, but not very good on VHF. I purchased the RC77CA and it is better on VHF, but on simulcast I get a lot of distortion.

Anyone had this problem with RC77CA? Could it be a bad antenna? Any suggestions?
The Remtronics is designed for 800MHz, not VHF. The Diamond RC77CA is designed for VHF/UHF, not 800MHz. Both antennas are doing what they're supposed to do. You just have to remember which one to use depending on what you're scanning. There is no one-does-all antenna that will work as well as an antenna designed for a particular band, or better yet frequency.

mule1075

Feed Provider
The Remtronics is designed for 800MHz, not VHF. The Diamond RC77CA is designed for VHF/UHF, not 800MHz. Both antennas are doing what they're supposed to do. You just have to remember which one to use depending on what you're scanning. There is no one-does-all antenna that will work as well as an antenna designed for a particular band, or better yet frequency.
Actually they do market it to receive 800mhz. But as we know it does not work that well unless in a strong signal area.

Diamond RH77CA Amateur HT Antenna

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Actually they do market it to receive 800mhz. But as we know it does not work that well unless in a strong signal area.

Diamond RH77CA Amateur HT Antenna

That's true, but it's actually a dual-band HAM/Amateur radio antenna, tuned for 2-Meter & 440 MHz. I find it performs very well as a wide-band receive only antenna, and it's one of the most popular for VHF/UHF aircraft bands (like we have much of a choice), also good for railroad, weather, FRS/GMRS, even marine, but not so much for the 700-800MHz bands.

KN4C

The RH77CA is designed for 2m/70cm transmit and receive, and 120/150/300/450/800/900 MHz receive. That's on the package it comes in.

As I posted earlier, my problem is solved. I just had to move my TRX-1 over about 6" and it works fine. I was receiving interference from my D4 that I wasn't when using the Remtronix. The TRX-1 is more sensitive with the RH77CA and my new favorite antenna for scanners.

Thank you guys for all the replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The RH77CA is designed for 2m/70cm transmit and receive, and 120/150/300/450/800/900 MHz receive. That's on the package it comes in.

The reason it's 2m/70cm for transmit is because that is bands it's tuned for. If you tried to use it for transmitting on 120/150/300/450/800/900 it wouldn't resonate or match well and have a high SWR. As for receiving only, they print that on a coat hanger wrapped up in toilet paper, doesn't mean much. A coat hanger would work on all those bands for receive by the way, just not great.

I'm not knocking the RH77CA, I own one and works good for VHF/UHF aircraft.

KN4C

Yes, I agree. I'm getting better reception of 800MHz, VHF, and UHF with the RH77CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.