Trying to choose between 3 Discone Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorwinScansNM

I have been shopping around for a good Discone Antenna for about one month now online & have gotten my decision & choices narrowed down to 3 different ones. Now I need the Radio Reference community help & expertise to try to help me purchase the best Discone Antenna out of the 3 for my receiver only use to my digital scanner. I need to receive as clearly as possible when installed at 28-feet high on my outdoor antenna mast in the frequency ranges of: 150-174 Mhz, 450-470Mhz & 760-900 Mhz.

My 3 choices/picks:
Diamond D130NJ,
Diamond D220,
Tram 1410.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Add Kreco to the list. They are much more expensive, but they'll actually last 20 years.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I scored a Diamond D130N for free many years ago. I put it up at my house since I needed a wide band VHF antenna and had not got around to buying one yet.
That was probably 10 years ago. Still up there, still has all it's appendages. Still working.

Telewave makes some really nice ones. I have one at work at a site. Probably a bit outside your price range, though.

CorwinScansNM

Add Kreco to the list. They are much more expensive, but they'll actually last 20 years.

Thanks. I did not know about that brand of Discone Antenna nor did I know of a Discone Antenna that exists & has a total of 24 radials on it vs the ordinary 16 radials on all the other Discone Antennas that I have seen & looked at on the Internet.

http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...-900-mhz-what-best-antenna-me.html#post928410

I would love to look at & possibly try one depending on the price tag however, I can't seem to find prices on them anywhere on the Internet which kind of scares me to think of what they might cost. I never purchased, tried or even heard of this brand!

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I was very interested in the Diamond D220 due to it's small size, and the fact that I don't monitor anything under 100MHz, until it was brought to my attention it's not a true discone design. I'd opt for the Diamond D130NJ.

CorwinScansNM

I was very interested in the Diamond D220 due to it's small size, and the fact that I don't monitor anything under 100MHz, until it was brought to my attention it's not a true discone design. I'd opt for the Diamond D130NJ.

What makes it "not a true discone design"?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Thanks. I did not know about that brand of Discone Antenna...
...I can't seem to find prices on them anywhere on the Internet which kind of scares me...

Google them for the website. They have an online catalog. It's got a phone number. Give 'em a call. It's a small family run business, and they're friendly.

I have several Kreco discones and other antennas, and they're just rock solid.

If you happen by a military airfield, and see discones on the cab of the control tower, they're probably Krecos.

CorwinScansNM

Google them for the website. They have an online catalog. It's got a phone number. Give 'em a call. It's a small family run business, and they're friendly.

I have several Kreco discones and other antennas, and they're just rock solid.

If you happen by a military airfield, and see discones on the cab of the control tower, they're probably Krecos.

Interesting & good information zz0468. I appreciate it.

oceans777

Listener
I can confirm the DJ220 is a one to avoid, mine was truly awful and it was free. The D130N is a solid, built to last performer and over many years mine have never had a single lost element or had any issue. Enjoy whatever you choose!

prcguy

Of the brands mentioned I would choose the Diamond D130J and not install the top whip. The D130J is higher quality than the Tram, which has complaints of water getting into the hub and causing corrosion over time. The other problem with Discones the size of a D130J and a Tram 1410 is the pattern above about 500Mhz points up too high and signals 700/800MHz at the horizon will be attenuated quite a bit.

The D220 uses a tuned whip for VHF reception and the Discone section does not come into play until you hit UHF and above, but it should work much better on 700/800 than a D130J at the cost of giving up broad band performance on VHF air, VHF business/commercial/military and 225-400 mil air.

Kreco is great, I have several but its not for everyone at a cost around $350 for a 100-800MHz version. The Kreco will have the same problems at 700/800Mhz as the D130J which I also have.

If 700/800/900 reception is really important and signals are weak in your area you might consider two antennas and a diplexer to combine them. You can't beat a D130J size discone for consistent performance from VHF air through 470MHz then a dedicated stick with some gain for 700/800Mhz. You can get a diplexer that will combine and isolate them with minimal loss.

CorwinScansNM

I can confirm the DJ220 is a one to avoid, mine was truly awful and it was free. The D130N is a solid, built to last performer and over many years mine have never had a single lost element or had any issue. Enjoy whatever you choose!

Thank-you for that negative info on the Diamond D-220 Mobile Antenna. That would now make for 2 Radio Reference community members who are advising that I not buy or go for it the D-220. I will take that advice for sure & knock the Diamond D-220 off my list. I am really thinking about & now considering the what was unknown to me KRECO Discone Antenna that I had never seen or even heard of until, zz0468 post in reply to my thread when I had Googled it & found another Radio Reference thread from 2008 also talking about KRECO Discone Antennas & with a web link to them.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I also recommend Kreco far and above the Diamond and Tram junk. They are built like a tank. I paid $275 for mine and love it. It has been on my tower for three years now and it still works and looks like it did when it went into service.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I have been shopping around for a good Discone Antenna for about one month now online & have gotten my decision & choices narrowed down to 3 different ones. Now I need the Radio Reference community help & expertise to try to help me purchase the best Discone Antenna out of the 3 for my receiver only use to my digital scanner. I need to receive as clearly as possible when installed at 28-feet high on my outdoor antenna mast in the frequency ranges of: 150-174 Mhz, 450-470Mhz & 760-900 Mhz.

My 3 choices/picks:
Diamond D130NJ,
Diamond D220,
Tram 1410.

Okay. Serious do not waste your money on the choices for Discone antenna's out there. Hands down the

Diamond D3000 N is the best out there. Just a bit more money but more solid then the D130J out there

allend

Premium Subscriber
I went with an MJ discone antenna and spent some money and I regret taking down my D3000N. I am going to ditch that MJ discone and put back my Diamond D3000 N discone antenna. What a waste of money and time.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Another vote for the Diamond D130J. I'm a little biased because I got mine free, but it seems to be a solid performer and is built well. I didn't install the top whip to make it closer to a true discone.

CorwinScansNM

I also recommend Kreco far and above the Diamond and Tram junk. They are built like a tank. I paid $275 for mine and love it. It has been on my tower for three years now and it still works and looks like it did when it went into service.

Was your Kreco Antenna a Discone Antenna & what model out of their 3 Discone Antennas did you purchase for $275? I am looking at & considering either thier D-100A or their D-150A. Their prices are seeming a bit scarry & high for me however, I am adding up & telling myself how much money & have spent on other cheap & cheap quality antennas over the past years & am still not happy with any of their receiving qualities & clarity into my digital scanner which is greatly leaning me towards a high attempt to purchase a Kreco Discone Antenna for a higher price tag & a 20 year warranty. Not to mention a unique Discone that has 12 bottom Radials & 12 upper Radials vs the other Discones sold everywhere on the Internet that only have the basic, typical 8 bottom & 8 upper Radials.

Status
Not open for further replies.