Simple outdoor Antenna for HP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

Hello All

I have a question about outside antennas , I have the home patrol 2 but I would like to hear more stuff I live in a basement apartment I am looking for an outdoor simple antenna don't want to spend a lot but I would like to get a wide band to cover all frequencies does anyone have any suggestions please

thank you

Ubbe

What kind of installation are you allowed to do? Windowsill, drill holes in the wall, out on the yard?
The hight above ground could be important. Can you put an antenna on a higher floor or on the roof?
Any lousy antenna on the roof will outperform any specialized antenna at ground level.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

I noticed in the other thread that you figured out that a magnet mount are the easiest way to go.
It's usually easy to also switch the radiator element to different types to try one focused on 150MHz or 800MHz whatever you feel gets you the best reception.

Get RG6 cable, either a fixed lenght with F connectors on them or put screw on connectors on a roll of coax yourself. Get adapters for F female to BNC female for the antenna and F female to SMA male or preferable a pigtail with those connectors for the scanner. https://www.ebay.com/itm/30cm-RG316...-male-plug-jumper-pigtail-12inch/192647705431

RG58 attenuates the signal four times more than RG6.

Water proof the outside connectors with something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RESCUE-TAP...scue-Silicone-Rubber-Water-Pipes/123434241345

/Ubbe

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hello All

I have a question about outside antennas , I have the home patrol 2 but I would like to hear more stuff I live in a basement apartment I am looking for an outdoor simple antenna don't want to spend a lot but I would like to get a wide band to cover all frequencies does anyone have any suggestions please

thank you

What are "all frequencies" in your mind? Any antenna will cover all, just not well. More to the point, what are you trying to listen to?

Sent using Tapatalk

usnasa

well on the mag mouth antenna i have now it is RG58u cable i just wanted to extend the length a bit so i can stick it on the awing that is higher than where i live

usnasa

hi Krokus
its hard to say I listen to everything i like to listen to
2 Meters , 70cm frequencies, some 800 MHz, Air frequencies

krokus

Premium Subscriber
hi Krokus
its hard to say I listen to everything i like to listen to
2 Meters , 70cm frequencies, some 800 MHz, Air frequencies
A discone would probably give you the best, but I'm not sure that would qualify as simple.

Since you have a mag mount, a Larsen NMO150/450/800 might work for you.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.