RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Antennas and Associated Hardware > Scanner / Receiver Antennas

Scanner / Receiver Antennas - For discussion of any type of receiving antenna used by a scanner or receiver base, mobile or handheld.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 7:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default APX "All Band" antenna

Discussing a problem receiving the Charlotte area UASI system on a 436HP, someone suggested using a Motorola APX UHF antenna.

I did some searching around and they are available and appear that will fit on the 436HP and should work. While searching Ebay and Amazon, I noticed that the All Band VHF/UHF/700-800Mhz antenna is also available.

The ones on Ebay seem to be knock offs, but at least some of the ones on Amazon are OEM.
The OEM antennas on Amazon are more expensive, of course.

I'm not worried about the cost, but I'd like to hear from anyone who might have used them on a 436HP or any other scanner for that matter. Do the improve reception over the RS 800Mhz antennas?

I know that it won't fix simulcast distortion, but my problem is hearing the system at all.

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2018, 8:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You'd be better off buying the purpose built remtronix SMA800 antenna. After putting a double male SMA adapter on your radio to make the Motorola antenna fit, you'll be both adding loss and additional strain on an already weak connector.
Old 11-14-2018, 6:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I thought, at least from the pictures I saw that the Motorola antenna uses the same connector. If not, you're right about the adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResQguy View Post
You'd be better off buying the purpose built remtronix SMA800 antenna. After putting a double male SMA adapter on your radio to make the Motorola antenna fit, you'll be both adding loss and additional strain on an already weak connector.
Old 11-14-2018, 6:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Motorola antennas have the female end on the antenna. Uniden antennas are male.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-14-2018, 6:46 AM

I have compared with antennas for commercial portable radios using Motorolas antennas for VHF(166MHz) and UHF(425MHz) and for receive it was hardly any noticable difference to a Uniden scanner antenna, not worth the extra cost. I have not done any 800Mhz comparisons.

You can see from Upmans charts that the RS800 seems to be superior in the 800MHz range. I wouldn't expect an APX7000 antenna to be any better that it would justify the cost.
Measuring Relative Antenna Receive Performance - Massively Uninformed

/Ubbe
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Location: Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious Arm, SOL system, Earth, California, Bay Area.

Garys - garbage. get a RS 800 MHz scanner antenna, the RS center loaded telescoping HAM antenna, or the Diamond RH77CA .all three of these are in Active use by me and they all greatly improve my scanner reception.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks. I guess I'll just have to get my son to buy a house on top of a hill with better line of sight into Mecklenburg County.

I'll save the money for the DMR upgrade on the SDS100 I'm not currently planning to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbe View Post
I have compared with antennas for commercial portable radios using Motorolas antennas for VHF(166MHz) and UHF(425MHz) and for receive it was hardly any noticable difference to a Uniden scanner antenna, not worth the extra cost. I have not done any 800Mhz comparisons.

You can see from Upmans charts that the RS800 seems to be superior in the 800MHz range. I wouldn't expect an APX7000 antenna to be any better that it would justify the cost.
Measuring Relative Antenna Receive Performance - Massively Uninformed

/Ubbe