Antenna For IC-R7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

cougarkirk

What would be the best antenna (outside) for a IC-R7000? I can put a pole up to put the antenna on, whats the best coax to. Thanks Cougar

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There is really no "best" antenna for the IC-R7000. Because of the radio's wide-band frequency coverage one antenna can not be made to cover the whole range and do a good job, let alone be the best.

You would do better to have several antennas and switch to the one designed for the particular band you are monitoring at that time. Any of the wide-band antennas on the market, regardless of price, or claims, will be a compromise.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I don't have an IC-R7000, but I do have an Icom IC-PCR1500, which also is a wide band receiver that covers shortwave through 3GHz. I use a Par Electronics EF-SWL longwire antenna for shortwave, and a Par MON-3 antenna for VHF/UHF. I have a coax switch that allows me to select either antenna depending on whether I'm monitoring shortwave or VHF/UHF. Works for me!

AOR makes the SA7000, which is a wideband vertical antenna that covers shortwave through 2GHz. I have not used one, so I can't say how well it works, but this is an example of a single antenna solution that might work for you. It's expensive, around $230.

Status
Not open for further replies.