Two VHF Radios 1 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

xe2jeg

Is there such a device that I can use to connect 2 VHF radios to a single mobil antenna besides an antenna switch I need both radios to RX at the same time.

Thanks

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Do you require them to transmit or only receive? As for transmit capability, I was looking at duplexers and triplexers and could not find any in my search that allowed two radios of the same freq range to transmit via one antenna. That doesn't mean there isn't one out there somewhere, only that I didn't find it during a quick search. Diamond and Comet both market these items (as do others I'm sure).

Now if you want receive only, then you could use a signal splitter. Looks like the letter "T", with one input from antenna and two outputs. No switching, but be aware that you will have signal loss with that scenario as it will split the signal received between each radio. Another option would be an active multicoupler, that provides enough signal boost to overcome the loss of splitting the incoming signal. Stridsberg makes multi-couplers.

Not sure if I answered your question satisfactorily, but hopefully the above is of some use.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
blueangel-eric said:
commercial companies such as Sinclair has stuff though they are so expensive a home user probably won't afford one. The railroads use those as they have different radios on different channels fed to the same antennas on the towers. It seems they're for a specific band though not multiband.
for example:
http://www.sinclairtechnologies.com/catalog/product.aspx?id=744

Your link goes to a transmitter combiner, which would do no good at all for receiving. The OP clearly states that he needs "both radios to RX at the same time."

A simple splitter would do that job nicely.

BTW, there ARE combiners out there that allow both transmit AND receive operation for multiple radios on a single antenna. They're specifically designed for places like dispatch centers where multiple control stations might exist. I doubt most of us could afford the several thousands of dollars they cost.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
If both radios need to transmit, then two antennas is the cheap easy way to go.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
zz0468 said:
Your link goes to a transmitter combiner, which would do no good at all for receiving. The OP clearly states that he needs "both radios to RX at the same time."

A simple splitter would do that job nicely.

BTW, there ARE combiners out there that allow both transmit AND receive operation for multiple radios on a single antenna. They're specifically designed for places like dispatch centers where multiple control stations might exist. I doubt most of us could afford the several thousands of dollars they cost.
didn't know it wouldn't work for receiving. that's weird.

seems like i saw something somewhere else too. here but it's expensive yet. http://www.scannermaster.com/4_Port_Multicoupler_p/02-530557.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.