DPD OmniX Multi Band Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attackron

Just so notes for anyone in the market for an antenna that was made just for scanners, not a ham. the DPD OmniX Multi Band Scanner Antenna is just outstanding. I installed it in my attic and it just blows my diamond d-130j slap out the water, hands down the better antenna. I can only dream how well it world work if it was outside. This is the best money i have spent yet on scanning. combined with the lmr400 times coax im receiving a good 120 miles plus radius, no kidding you. sweet unf/vhf and 800mhz trucking that i just was not able to receive with my diamond. Now i mind you this is in my attic !!!!!

WOW !!! this thing R O C K S !!!

Thanks DAVE of DPD for this outstanding antenna.

http://www.dpdproductions.com/

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hey Attackron,
That is great to here that it is working good for you. I have Dave's VHF LP and is very good and very solid.
I am going to order the Omni as well very soon.
Take care
Ron

NoRide

I've considered ordering the DPD OmniX several times but haven't. Would like to see real world comparisons to other antennas. Might just have to break down and do this myself. :lol:

NoRide

Looking at it again, I'm alittle baffled by the "clamps." Is that actually what they look like? I'd be using a smaller (1") mast for now and would need a different mounting solution. Just curious at this time.

Attackron

NoRide said:
Looking at it again, I'm alittle baffled by the "clamps." Is that actually what they look like? I'd be using a smaller (1") mast for now and would need a different mounting solution. Just curious at this time.

yea there the alligator clamps with a protective soft plastic cover to protect your antenna and the clamps. Work well.

TheReaper

I’ve also been curious about that antenna. I’ve been looking for a replacement for my RS 176. I’ve also been looking at the Grove Omni-II. Since I live in an apartment, I have to have the antenna indoors.

Attackron, what bands are to listening to?

N4DXX

Premium Subscriber
Kinda hard to think that antenna would hear that well.Looks like nothing more than a centerfed vertical dipole..but i am no engineer so i can't say much..I know i like my scantenna and it as well beat my discone..I may try one of these as i am in the stick's and if it will beat my scantenna all i could say is WOW!Kinda favors one of them nil jon antenna's

Last edited:

LeeBarnes

Although it seems to me that some people poo-poo on DPD's antennas, I've been very happy with the air band antenna that I bought from there.

I have the Diamond discone too, I may look into getting the OmniX when I have the money.

Attackron

timjude said:
Kinda hard to think that antenna would hear that well.Looks like nothing more than a centerfed vertical dipole..but i am no engineer so i can't say much..I know i like my scantenna and it as well beat my discone..I may try one of these as i am in the stick's and if it will beat my scantenna all i could say is WOW!Kinda favors one of them nil jon antenna's

well I can truly say this is one hell of an antenna to me. I only wish i did't piss money away on the diamond discone because it just sucks big time compared to this Omnix and Im out in the country south alabama, nothing but farms and ponds and 15 /20 miles from the gulf of Mexico. I'm getting another one for my 369T or the Uhf/Vhf Air model...

Sownman

Glad you're happy with it. I wish their website had some sort of specs with expected frequencies. I'm looking for a 25-1300 antenna that can do a reasonably good job down to 40.000. The DPD site offers no specs and no phone number.

Steve

Attackron

Sownman said:
Glad you're happy with it. I wish their website had some sort of specs with expected frequencies. I'm looking for a 25-1300 antenna that can do a reasonably good job down to 40.000. The DPD site offers no specs and no phone number.

Steve

email Dave,

DPDPro@aol.com

he will answer all you question, i emailed here back and forth for 2 weeks before i bought one. Great guy to deal with and very helpful

Attackron

Sownman said:

Steve
boy you sure missed out by going with a discone, if you like what the discone does you would have loved this antenna..

TheReaper

I received my DPD OmniX last week. Frankly, I’m very disappointed. My PSR-500 is totally deaf from 150-162 now. 4XX-8XX is OK, but nothing great. Side by side with my PRO-164 hooked to a 20-176, theirs no comparison. The 20-176 performs so much better. Even my Diamond RH77CA performs better than the OmniX.

The antennas are mounted indoors in a second floor apartment witch is maybe why the OmniX isn’t performing well. My set-up is a PSR-500 > Diamond RH77CA or LMR-400U > OmniX. A PRO-164 > crap RS RG-58 > 20-176.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Try adding some attenuation. GRE radios are famous for overloading on the VHF hi band; you may be experiencing desense. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

73s Mike

jim49

Attackron said:
combined with the lmr400 times coax im receiving a good 120 miles plus radius, no kidding you. sweet unf/vhf and 800mhz trucking that i just was not able to receive with my diamond. Now i mind you this is in my attic !!!!!

http://www.dpdproductions.com/

120 miles + with an indoor attic antenna? Which mountain are you atop? I doubt any scanner/antenna will pick up that great of a radius, even with an outdoor beam with pre-amp.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
+1 for DPD & Dave! :)

I purchased the 700-1000 MHz UHF LP Model Antenna, and the MilTenna 225-400 MHz LP Model Antenna. Due to HMA restrictions in my subdivision, I was unable to install them on even a moderate tower, or roof top tripod. I ended up hanging them on the walls in my monitoring room and performance was still impressive.

Construction is like nothing I've seen for even twice the money. Very strong, well engineered. I don't think severe weather could ever destroy one of Dave's antenna's without destroying your house too!

Prices appear to be high compared to others, but this is truly a representation of getting what you paid for. Delivery is fast! Dave is very responsive to emails, even years after the sale.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting thread. I've been watching the Omni-X and the 118-1000 LP antenna from DPD as a potential new addition(s). Does anyone know what range of freqs the Omni-X covers. The web site only says Multi-band wide coverage and I'm curiuous what exactly that includes.

DPD1

I keep meaning to add more info to that. I don't want to get too crazy on the forums because I don't know how appropriate it is to be talking about business stuff.

Basically the core element handles the 225-900 type stuff, one set of long elements handles the mid VHF 140-170 type stuff, and the longest set handles VHF Air. It's very difficult to describe designs like this, because no matter what you say, you'll get a negative response with some people. If I put what I just listed above, guaranteed some people will think it ONLY hears stuff in those areas and nothing else. Then on the other hand, if you put the old '25-1300' shtick, that isn't exactly accurate either.

I personally am not a big fan of the do-it-all antenna. It's physically impossible to make one antenna do everything well, but I know that's still what a lot of people hope for.

Reaper... I'm not sure what the problem is, but VHF should definitely not be less than a 20-176. All that is, is basically a 2 Meter ground plane. At very worse, the Omni should do as good as that. Maybe check all your connections, and also the overdriven theory may be a possibility too. I know some people have had problems like that in the past. Lots of times people describe something as "static" or "poor signal", when in the end I found the radio was actually getting TOO much signal.

On to prices... Believe me, I do everything I can to keep the prices down... There's numerous reasons why it's very hard to do so. For one thing, we don't outsource anything to China. I know most people couldn't care less where something is made now, but believe me, you should. Read some reports on the economic state of the US, and it will scare the snot out of you. We basically make nothing anymore, which means we have nothing to offer the world economy. Also... There's a reason why most companies focus on commercial and government sales. I think I saw a post the other day that said the people who make the Mon scanner antenna said they weren't going to be making them anytime soon, because they were too busy making stuff for the aerospace biz... There you go. The hobby market is tiny compared to the commercial and gov fields. You can sell hundreds of units to them for high prices, and basically it's like... 'Where do we send the check'. As compared to the hobby market which is small to begin with, and everybody is looking for the best deal possible. I think the thread about the $3 mobile antenna went on for about 3 months. That says a lot about where the mindset is for the average consumer level buyer, and that's not something that inspires manufactures to go after that crowd, when they can make millions in comm and gov sales. I personally want to create things for hobbyists, but people have to realize that it takes money. That money isn't ever going to come from quantity, because there isn't any in hobby stuff. So it has to come from the price. Lastly... In all fairness, if you look at the few other people offering a consumer grade LP designs out there, we are still well below the going market rate. The other two I can think of specifically are retailing for about $300-400. We're still more than $100 below that, and frankly, I don't know how much longer that can last, because those other two companies really deserve what they are getting for those... Labor-wise, the LP is basically like making two yagi antennas and sticking them together. So if you bought two co-phased yagis, you'd be looking at maybe $300?

Just to put it in perspective...

Labor on one MilLP

10 electrical elements = 20 physical elements, 20 cuts, 40 ends sanded and coned, 20 holes drilled, 20 holes tapped, 20 holes countersunk, 20 pieces polished.

2 Booms = 2 tubes cut, 4 ends sanded, 81 holes drilled (ever tried drilling 81 perfect holes in one piece of anything?), 81 holes countersunk, 40 of the holes reamed, 28 of the holes de-burred from the inside.

Then you've still got to make the cable harness, horizontal boom, boom polishing, assembly, wrapping... I've never tried to figure out the actual hours time put into each LP unit, because frankly I'm scared to.

I'm not trying to be smart or hostile, I'm just trying to give a feel for the effort that has to go in. Believe me, if it was me and I didn't know better, I too would probably look at it and think, what's the big deal? But it is one big pile-o-labor to make those things, let me tell you. Yes, CNC is an option, but that goes back to the money. People who have CNC and other automation afford it through either high individual prices, or lower prices through quantity. So much about why people buy or don't buy things is just psychological. I've often seen people pay over $200 on eBay for some banged up old gov discone, and all I can do is scratch my head. Same goes for posts I see where people complain about cable or other costs, but list $6000 of radios in their sig. But that's the psychology of sales.

I personally would love to keep making unique consumer level stuff that most other companies don't want to bother with. I'm working on building our own anechoic chamber for testing, and I've also been working on some other new stuff, like an SBS-1 model. But the future depends on whether the consumer field is viable enough to support this. There has to be some real money there at some point, or a decision will have to be made. I guess what I'm trying to politely say is... If people want unique products at less than commercial prices, they will need to cough up the dough sometimes. Same goes for radios and everything else.

Anyway... I blabbed more than I intended, but there it is.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Dave....great info. Does it do...or should I say how does it do in the 30-50Mhz range?

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Dave,
Thanks for the explanation. I for one appreciate your posts and find them technically informative and not at all like you're only trying to sell products, but instead inform and educate we consumers. I appreciate the fact that you are not "China connected", but I know it affects your pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.