Satellite Dish Scanner/TV antenna!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortwavewave

Ok some may think Im crazy, or that I might be a little stupid.

Well I had asked on a thred if anyone could suggest a Outdoor TV antenna, No replys!!(No offence to anyone)

Well if anyone is like me, I like the "what happens if i do this kind of stuff" This is what i came up with

I went to a junk yard, looking for random things to mess around with, I found a Satellite Dish which was capable of up to 4 different Coax inputs(or rx boxes), paid
5 dollars for it!

I plugged in the whole thing(stright to my TV and Scanner, before being modified) to see what would happen, NOTHING AT ALL, not even the stongest Digital TV channel came in. Well I took apart the Head, parabolic part what ever you want to call it, and this is why I didnt pick anything up, theres almost a computer in there!
IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

Well I began to think how can I get this to work as a reflector with out using the head part (because the screws holding the circuit board in place were welded of some sort)

So I took the back cover of the head (aluminum) and solderd it to one of the Coax inputs on the Dish, which looks like this
IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

The result, my first "REAL" Antenna, I know it might be feed with 75ohm coax but this baby is sweet, results as fallows

TV channels: 6 more channels than a 40$ TV antenna from BestBuy
3 more Digital Channels

Scanner: I can now hear both sides of the Conversation on 2 meters, as well as hear Rail Road on both sides, and the local police comes in now with-OUT ANY static!!

I might could add a better piece of metal maybe some copper, or an X-type rod deal
and this is a very directional

I thought I was losing my mind trying this, my wife looked at me like I was an idiot:D
If anyone has an extra Dish laying around, Try this please you wont regret it.

key2_altfire

Haha, great post, thanks for sharing. A lot of radio geek, er, enthusiasts will never ding you for experimenting. That's a very inventive antenna you have, glad it worked out for you.

mcooke

How exactly does it work? Can you describe how the coax connects to the dish and what actually acts as the antenna to receive the signal.

allen2

Is the entire satellite dish acting as your scanner antenna?

I have an old satellite dish on my condo and was wondering if I could use it as an antenna. I should firstly clarify that I know nothing about antennas or satellite dishes. Is it possible that satellite transmissions could some how harm the scanner? Is your soldering job connecting your coax to the entire dish body? Should this type of antenna be grounded?

KW4EZR

I had thought of something kind of like this before. Only I thought about putting a rubber ducky, or other antenna at the end of the arm to see if it could be used as a "directional duck" so the dish would reflect more signal to the antenna, I have an old dish laying around but never got around to trying it. I like your dish antenna. Good Job

prcguy

The LNB casting is aluminum but the back cover is sheet steel. Shortwavewave basically has a non resonant lump of metal near the focal point of a small dish. The actual focal point is a few inches closer to the dish where the throat of the feed horns were. It probably has a some gain at 800MHz but its easy to confuse a little directionality with gain. The dish is WAY too small to provide any gain at UHF and below.
prcguy
mancow said:
I just want to know how you managed to SOLDER aluminum. :wink:

lugoffman

Shortwavewave said:
Ok some may think Im crazy, or that I might be a little stupid.

Well I had asked on a thred if anyone could suggest a Outdoor TV antenna, No replys!!(No offence to anyone)

Well if anyone is like me, I like the "what happens if i do this kind of stuff" This is what i came up with

I went to a junk yard, looking for random things to mess around with, I found a Satellite Dish which was capable of up to 4 different Coax inputs(or rx boxes), paid
5 dollars for it!

I plugged in the whole thing(stright to my TV and Scanner, before being modified) to see what would happen, NOTHING AT ALL, not even the stongest Digital TV channel came in. Well I took apart the Head, parabolic part what ever you want to call it, and this is why I didnt pick anything up, theres almost a computer in there!
IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

Well I began to think how can I get this to work as a reflector with out using the head part (because the screws holding the circuit board in place were welded of some sort)

So I took the back cover of the head (aluminum) and solderd it to one of the Coax inputs on the Dish, which looks like this
IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

The result, my first "REAL" Antenna, I know it might be feed with 75ohm coax but this baby is sweet, results as fallows

TV channels: 6 more channels than a 40$ TV antenna from BestBuy
3 more Digital Channels

Scanner: I can now hear both sides of the Conversation on 2 meters, as well as hear Rail Road on both sides, and the local police comes in now with-OUT ANY static!!

I might could add a better piece of metal maybe some copper, or an X-type rod deal
and this is a very directional

I thought I was losing my mind trying this, my wife looked at me like I was an idiot:D
If anyone has an extra Dish laying around, Try this please you wont regret it.
yea thats alright what type of coax you using for it and like some one said earlyer can you send a picture of it

Status
Not open for further replies.