Uniden BC 340/370 CRS desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

The Uniden BC340CRS and BC370CRS are conventional analog-only small desktop scanners. They are similar in appearance, but of course the 370 has some very nice additional features.

I would not recommend them for those just starting out scanning, unless they knew for sure that they are only interested in the services that are using the older formats and channelization steps - like amateur, marine, airband(s), or local systems that have yet to go trunking or digital.

Both are easy to use, since they are the old-school bank/channel setup. The 340 has only 100 memories in 10 banks, whereas the 370 has 300 memories in 10 banks. The chart in the 370 manual for memory management is wrong - it shows 30 banks of 10 memories, yet the description of the memories is correct. So it is either 10 banks of 10 channels for the 340, and 10 banks of 30 channels for the 370.

Strangely enough, the box for the 370 does not show any coverage for mil-air, although it is definitely there!

Frequency coverage for the 340 stops at 512 mhz. The 370 goes all the way up to 956 mhz, but remember that these are analog-only, non-trunking, non digital, no pl, no attenuator, AND no pc-programmable units!

One of the major reasons why I'd choose a 370 over a 340 is not only for the extended coverage up to 956 mhz, but also it covers MIL-AIR 225-380 mhz! Sensitivity on both units is respectable, in fact the milair sensitivity specs are the same as the vhf airband sensitivity specs - and in actual use is more sensitive than any recent GRE/RS product that covers milair.

Scanning speed isn't too shabby at 60cps for the 340, and 70 cps for the 370.

Audio is plentiful and clean, although don't expect it to be louder than commercial radio offerings. On the back is a 32-ohm headphone jack, which has very good fidelity - almost too good if you use high-fidelity earbuds. Note that if your systems use PL, you may get tired of hearing the PL in the earbuds, whereas these low frequencies are not heard from the front-speaker. The headphone jacks are inconveniently on the back side of the unit - I imagine this was partially for safety so no children would be tempted to drop paperclips into the headphone jack if they were on the front.

The 370 has an NIST/WWV sync'ed clock, although that feature can be turned off. 8 time zones can be selected, including DST and GMT. It is unfortunate that the S-meter is only for the clock, and not the scanner, although with only 3 bars, the usefullness for scanning is not really missed.

Only the 370 has Weather/All Hazards alert - even when the unit is turned off. EAS alerts can be monitored from the AM/FM and of course NOAA channels. Up to 4 FIPS codes can be programmed and there is a relay output on the back for these alerts. Alerts will sound a tone, open the squelch, and the message will show up in the display. The 340 lacks weather alerting.

Both units use three AA batteries for backup, and are non rechargeable in the case. They have provided me many hours of service on their own, and make it easy to transport from room to room.

The clock-radio functions do their job, so I won't concentrate on that here.

To receive the standard AM broadcast stations, one has to use the supplied loop antenna included with the unit and place it somewhere.

Overall, I find them to be very useful if you want to unload some local conventional channels off your other scanners, or perhaps it would make a GREAT gift for retired or budding aviators who might not really be into scanning, but would love to monitor their local systems without a lot of complication. The addition of milair for the 370 makes it an even better gift for a military or future military aviator just getting their feet wet.

Of course, the cool thing to do would be to pre-program it for them prior to gifting it.

Both units come with that frustrating telescopic from Uniden that usually goes into a drawer immediately due to that funky connector they use. I don't know why they even make it, since a 90-degree bnc and a simple telescopic would make for a better connection.

nanZor

Oh and note that there are no alpha-tags.

The volume control was a little too small in height, and too smooth. A taller, knurled chrome drop-in replacement from Radio Shack fits perfectly and looks OEM. RS #247-424

nanZor

Yikes - twisted the model number for the knob. Make that 274-424. Perfect replacement.

nanZor

Got my 340CRS today. Works great for my civil air duties, while leaving the 370 to do milair. They make a nice pair with a dedicated tuned antenna on each.

The frequency display font on the 340 is slightly smaller than the 370, but the soft-keys are a bit larger. There is no contrast adjustment, although the display is easily readable unless you are looking straight down on top of it. Not a problem.

The volume knob shaft seems a bit larger in diameter compared to the 370, so my knob replacement mod doesn't work unless I drill it out a little bit. Not a showstopper. :)

nanZor

12V current measurements

Here's some interesting measurements while using the 12V jack with an external battery.

340CRS:
Squelched: 90ma
Half volume: 100ma
Full volume unsquelched: 115ma
Backlight draw: 10ma

370CRS: (about the same)
Squelched: 100 ma
Half volume: 105 ma
Full volume unsquelched: 125ma
Backlight draw: 30ma

Note that if you sit unsquelched on a non-programmed channel of 000.000, current goes WAY up to about 250ma - but nobody is really going to do that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

Draws power even when OFF !

Just a warning - I guess because of the clocks, the units still pull about 90ma power even when powered off from the front panel. I use an external switch for a complete power down.

Also, if you are using them portable using only the backup batteries, pull the batteries too when not in use. They aren't really designed for portable use, but this is something to remember.

nanZor

Yes, BUT -- you would be off frequency and volume would be lower. Frankly if you need narrowband, these are not the most ideal units.

However, maybe this is a clue that a "refresh" of these desktops that would handle narrowband properly would be something I'd love to see - while still maintaining a very low current draw of about 100ma like these do now.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yes, BUT -- you would be off frequency and volume would be lower. Frankly if you need narrowband, these are not the most ideal units.

However, maybe this is a clue that a "refresh" of these desktops that would handle narrowband properly would be something I'd love to see - while still maintaining a very low current draw of about 100ma like these do now.

Thanks for the heads up hertzian.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yes,it would be nice to see these two scanners get updated to handle the narrowband freqs.

SCPD

QRT
Both of these units are now discontinued by Uniden America Corp. F.Y.I.
BC340CRS/BC370CRS. Does anyone know what will replace them? UpMan....can you answer this question yet?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Both models still appear on Uniden's web site and it indicates that both models are still orderable items.

Where did you get the information that they've been discontinued?

SCPD

QRT
Bc-340crs/bc-370crs

They do not cover narrow banding and Uniden is phasing them out. New models will be anounced in 2013.
I had a BC-370CRS and the all hazards was the best feature..other then that..it would eat batteries fast unless it was plugged in 24/7 and audio/sensitivity not great. I would go w/ a Bearcat BC-355N(replaces BC-355C) now since nothing replaces the above two base units. The BC-355N is not easy to program unless you understand the up/down and private channels,ect. But if it is like the BC-355C..it has good sound quality and better sensitivity then the BC-340CRS/BC-370CRS. Hope this helps you.

73's

nanZor

... and Uniden is phasing them out. New models will be anounced in 2013.

What is your source - or is this wishful thinking / manufacturer prodding? This is the second time you've been asked this.

it would eat batteries fast unless it was plugged in 24/7 and audio/sensitivity not great.
Yes, the batteries were only intended to be used for temporary power outages. That being said, the 3 cells last about as long as the 396 handheld if you turn off the weather alert, the nist clock sync. I also found the audio and sensitivity to be quite good for the class that it is in. It really does hold it's own as a clock-radio-scanner, something the 355 isn't.

Don't forget that these things run at about 100ma / 12v, and the performance from what is basically a handheld current draw is pretty amazing. Uniden really did their homework here. Most scanners draw 10 times that much power.

The 355 is a nice inexpensive Uniden too. Looking forward to an in-depth write-up.

SCPD

QRT
I know for a fact that Uniden is dropping the BC-340CRS/BC-370CRS from their line-up as they don't support narow-banding.(BC-355N takes the place of BC-355C) Is that good enough for you? I don't want to argue with members here as I am a fairly new member myself, ok? Let's keep this fair and balanced for EVERYONE!
Thanking you in advance.
73's

nanZor

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. No argument intended.

It is just that this is a review subforum, rather than others that compare apples to oranges. The sight of a 355 might be appropriate in the mobile or in the shack, but could get you kicked out of the home or office, where the design styling of the 340/370 might go unnoticed by the xyl or boss. :)

If one needs that kind of styling to fit the environment, and/or needs a low-buck but good performer for simpler conventional needs such as amateur, airband, marine, gmrs/frs/murs, (milair too in the 370!) or other services that aren't going to go narrowband in the immediate future, then perhaps the time to pick one up is now if your contact(?) is correct.

nanZor

My contact is ALWAYS correct!

I just kind of wished you had stated up front that you are a dealer for Uniden products, as described in other threads.

That being the case, the original review of the product stands on it's own, and the reader can make judgements for themselves without being sold on alternatives.

wheels63

I know this is an old post,but Uniden has replaced these with the BC345CRS.I was looking for a review of the BC345CRS.I got one on order from Amazon(84.98) . I got it mainly for Mil-Air.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.