RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Scanner / Receiver Equipment Reviews

Scanner / Receiver Equipment Reviews - A forum for reviews of scanner and receiver hardware along with related accessories. Please read the forum Sticky before creating a thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 7:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks to all who have posted about this scanner. I have been using a 396XT as an air-to-ground receiver at air shows all over the country (I'm an announcer) for live from the cockpit transmissions. I had a RS Pro 96 but it didn't work as well on mil air as the 396 used by the Blue Angels. So I bought one a few years back. It has performed VERY well in that role on both VHF and UHF mil air.

I am working on a new system for their events coordinator so she doesn't have to change frequencies on her 396 from Solo-Diamond-Show frequencies so I have suggested getting 4 396's and using a mixer and earphones to be able to listen to all 3 air freqs plus their FM "bricks." I knew it would be expensive so I started checking around for other scanners that might do the job (my old Icom IC-R10 wasn't working out so well). I came across the 125 on a Target online ad for only $111.00. I just got it yesterday and I'm playing with it. I think it's going to work out well for them as long as they are diligent about changing batteries.

Funny to see the box for the unit AND the Target ad showing a Blue Angels frequency on the display.

Thanks again to all who contributed to the review. Very helpful.

I will most certainly be using it to replace the Icom IC-R10. I use a mixer that has a digital effects processor in it and I'm assuming that the front end of the radio is just so wide that it can't squelch it out. And I don't want to have to add coax to gain distance from the mixer.

W8GFF
Old 11-11-2014, 5:31 PM

When powering the unit on, do you see the firmware version temporarily at the bottom of the display?

If you don't see any version number displayed, you may have a very very early unit, and a firmware upgrade fixed an issue for me.
Old 12-12-2014, 5:46 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is it possible to power this scanner off of the USB port? Or is that for charging only?
Old 12-12-2014, 7:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I did a short video a while ago on the subject and the answer is yes.

Uniden BC125AT Running on USB Only - YouTube