RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Scanner / Receiver Equipment Reviews

Scanner / Receiver Equipment Reviews - A forum for reviews of scanner and receiver hardware along with related accessories. Please read the forum Sticky before creating a thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 8:42 PM

Hi Fred have u done this on your Alinco DX-R8..

Regards Lino..
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2014, 9:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yes....However as I noted in my reply, The frequency step changes that you make, will NOT be operational when using the Tuning Knob for scanning a frequency band.....the step change ONLY works when you use the "Up or Down arrow buttons" to scan a frequency band.

Fred

Last edited by aocsgil; 01-14-2014 at 9:29 PM..
Old 01-14-2014, 9:28 PM

Hi Fred thats what i thought all of my other receivers can change the steps to what ever u want except the alincos which is strange for some thing that most people would use to tune with the rotary knob..

Regards Lino..
Old 01-14-2014, 9:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I agree.........Thats why hertzian and I are hoping for some sort of update or change to a variable speed Tuning Knob option....

Fred
Old 01-14-2014, 9:52 PM

yes it would be nice to be able to change the tuning steps of the knob!!!
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcase View Post
As far as the NB is concerned, some of my friends had Alinco rigs in the past, and they said the NB's were not very good on them in general. Call me old fashioned, but if you have a function on a radio, it should work.
NB on Alinco's is not their strong suit. Just forget that button is there. Then again, we are loop fanatics, so that in itself might be better than a noise blanker.

It might soften the blow from the spark plugs from a neighbors leaf blower, but that's about it...
Old 01-23-2014, 4:26 AM

I was just hoping that someone with better eyesight than mine might be able to identify a resistor or some other simple mod that would make the vfo step a little faster.

In the meantime, the best I can do is set the button step for about 2.5khz, and use the buttons that way to sweep roughly across the band, and hone in when I get close to something interesting with the vfo knob.
Old 01-26-2014, 8:13 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a R8T yahoo group - yet. However there is one for the transceiver that it's based from, and I wouldn't doubt that there are many similarities

Yahoo Groups

Mike
Old 01-26-2014, 9:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have been a member of this one for quite a while now:

Yahoo Groups

Mark
Old 10-29-2015, 3:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thinking about buy one of these. Besides the 12v power cable that come with this, looking to see if there is a mounting bracket that comes with this? I have seen photos of looks likes mounting points on the side of the radio.
Old 11-03-2015, 7:49 AM

I ordered mine last night....I wanted to get a R75, but due to some issues in the end I decided to get this.
Old 04-23-2017, 3:04 AM

I used the Alinco DX R8 while in Oman and it is a very solid radio, depsite the fact that I needed a good Antenna. Now I am in KSA and the radio is back in my home country which is Cyprus...

Overall I can say that the radio is an excellent stand alone desktop receiver with all the possible functions one would wish for. I have listened to many distant shortwave broadcasts on it, although I wasn't able to locate and SSB signals. It is a beautiful looking radio with a quality feel to it.

My only criticism of this radio is the small number buttons and the inability to traverse a big tune change easily. The tiny up down arrow buttons have to be used and this may be awkward to some especially if your fingers are thick.