RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Scanner / Receiver Equipment Reviews

Scanner / Receiver Equipment Reviews - A forum for reviews of scanner and receiver hardware along with related accessories. Please read the forum Sticky before creating a thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 2:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default BCD436HP / BCD536HP First Impressions

Had the BCD436HP a few days now. It is an awesome radio! So many features packed into a small hand held device! I posted pictures on my blog. Videos are being uploaded as I type.

The BCD536HP is great. LARGE LCD!!! Again the record/replay is great. Audio can get very loud without distorting. P25 decoding on both are great. I'm not seeing any problems on my systems.

Aircraft monitoring (civ air) on each seem to be on par with my BCD996T and BC125AT.

I will do a full review on each in a week or 2. In the mean time check out the pics and vids below:

Monitoring Reviews: Uniden BCD436HP First Impressions

Monitoring Reviews: Uniden BCD536HP Initial Impressions
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

awsome reviews matt.
Old 07-28-2014, 9:36 AM

I bought a BCD436HP scanner. I was particularly busy at the time, so did not have time to try and set the freqs I needed to listen to. I read so many bad reports on the RR forum about it, that I returned it. Now everyone seems to be interested in a Whistler digital handheld, but I understand that it is a 6 year old GRE scanner with a new case as Whistler bought out GRE. The county I worked for for 30 years just put up a multi million dollar P25 phase two digital system. It was not operational when I had the Uniden scanner. The county I live in, adjacent to the one I worked for, is piggybacked on the state digital system ( I have been told ). I don't know what handheld scanner to buy. So I am waiting until I find out what people that know a lot more about scanners than I do, figure out which is the best.

Last edited by KSDeputy; 07-28-2014 at 9:42 AM..
Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

as usual awsome reviews
Old 08-24-2014, 10:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thumbs up

Great work Matt!
Sponsored links
Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thanks! Hope they were helpful
Old 04-15-2016, 11:56 PM

i had a 436 returned it very hard to understand, i don't like the way the hp series gets programmed
Old 04-16-2016, 3:17 AM

Entering your zip code is too hard?
Old 04-16-2016, 9:28 AM

Great review, OP. I just received my 436 this past Thursday and I'm loving it. It is a new series and it seems that the issues have been resolved with this batch. The favorites lists are a breeze to manage and it's simple to switch between which list(s) you want to listen to. The fit and finish are excellent. My only gripe is the way you have to enter the ZIP/Postal Code. I would much prefer direct entry from the keypad. Other than that, I'm quite impressed. I put a SRH519 antenna on mine and I'm picking up everything in my locale extremely clear.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have had the 436HP for about a month now, i am quite impressed, i use it all over the US with the Uniden GPS and the performance is flawless, still much to learn about it but i am quite happy with my purchase
Old 04-16-2016, 1:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by netguy1999 View Post
Great review, OP. I just received my 436 this past Thursday and I'm loving it. It is a new series and it seems that the issues have been resolved with this batch. The favorites lists are a breeze to manage and it's simple to switch between which list(s) you want to listen to. The fit and finish are excellent. My only gripe is the way you have to enter the ZIP/Postal Code. I would much prefer direct entry from the keypad. Other than that, I'm quite impressed. I put a SRH519 antenna on mine and I'm picking up everything in my locale extremely clear.
You must have a different 436 than I do, cause I enter the zip code directly from the keypad....
Pro-197
Old 04-16-2016, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman1224 View Post
You must have a different 436 than I do, cause I enter the zip code directly from the keypad....
I'm in Canada and our postal codes are alpha-numeric. I have to use the select knob to scroll through the letters to enter them. Unless I'm missing something. Please tell me I'm missing something because this way is kind of a pain.
Old 04-16-2016, 1:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ah, I see. I wouldn't know how that works up there.
Pro-197
Old 05-17-2016, 7:21 AM

Default BCD536HP or something else??

I currently have a BCD536HP and a GRECOM that I use to monitor P25 systems. I want to add another radio. Is the 536 still the "better" of the pack or have the new Whistlers or Bearcats surpassed it? Thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 9:53 PM

May as well ask which is better:
Coke or Pepsi
Ford or Chevy

It's all personal preference, and in the case of P25 I would suggest whichever works better on the systems you want to monitor.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I brought my 436 about 2 weeks ago very nice radio The biggest problem I have with the radio is distance. I live on the south shore of staten island,ny. Depending on my location i can pickup Somerset and Hunter ton county in New Jersey but not Union county a 20 minute ride by car. I'm just using the watson 801 antenna. When i lock on Union county it comes in but hardly in scan mode
Old 07-02-2016, 5:35 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by netguy1999 View Post
may i ask where you ordered the scanner from? did they check the serial for you before shipping? i would like to order one. also, what did you pay?
Old 07-02-2016, 11:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default bcd436

I purchased it from scanner master.with the wall plug and taxes and shipping it ran about 530
Old 07-02-2016, 11:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No i didn't have the check the serial for me
Old 07-03-2016, 11:57 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can enter the zip code direct via the key pad and even works better with the GPS hooked up.....