Diamond rh77CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

happydriver

Read alot of Hype on this antenna. What a piece of junk! I have a pro 651, tried every possible combination of setting with regards to attenuation and other settings. I was also running against a pro 91 with a stock antenna. Sorry I wasted my money. As soon as attached, I lose 800 mhz trunking signal. NOT even as good on vhf or 500 mhz stuff. Good thing was w/shipping I only wasted $30. I know that there is stuff out better than stock but this sure isn't it.

dkf435

The RH77CA is one of the best 2m/70cm antennas ever made with good quality build antenna, sorry but it is not an 800MHz antenna and a poor choice on your part if you are wanting the 800 band because of the load matching coil in the base.

David Kb7uns

questnz

Second that, I have about dozen different antennas for my scanners, RH77CA, Watson WSMA 881 and 801 (shorter version) are my all round favorites. Best if you get specific 800MHz antenna for your needs. Definitely not a piece of junk.
PS. Are you sure that you got original Diamond not cheap knock off from China?

Last edited:

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Obviously, as has been pointed out, you need to read antenna specs before you purchase. The RH-77 is awesome for what I use it for (MILAIR and VHF/UHF) and does well enough for me on our Starcom trunked P25 system to use it as an every day antenna. Proximity to the transmitter site, height and of course being optimized to the frequencies you want to monitor all have an impact. If all you want to listen to is 800MHZ, then that Radio Shack 800 MHZ is terrific.

happydriver

I purchased this antenna from Universal Radio based on the reviews of others. This antenna was reviewed as all band and the packaging clearly reads 2m/70cm For receiving and transmitting & 120/150/300/450/800/900mhz Bands Receiving. I am merely trying to save someone else from wasting their money in this application. I listen to 150mhz 500mhz and 800mhz systems at the same time. In this, the stock antenna was much better. If this antenna is obviously no good for 800 mhz then someone should tell DIAMOND their package info is bogus. I live within 7 miles of two trunked 800mhz systems and this antenna could not even grab the control channel which meant NO transmissions at all on these systems. If anyone is local SNJ area $20 and its yours. My only question now is does ANYONE make a better then stock all band handheld antenna?

n5ims

I purchased this antenna from Universal Radio based on the reviews of others. This antenna was reviewed as all band and the packaging clearly reads 2m/70cm For receiving and transmitting & 120/150/300/450/800/900mhz Bands Receiving. I am merely trying to save someone else from wasting their money in this application. I listen to 150mhz 500mhz and 800mhz systems at the same time. In this, the stock antenna was much better. If this antenna is obviously no good for 800 mhz then someone should tell DIAMOND their package info is bogus. I live within 7 miles of two trunked 800mhz systems and this antenna could not even grab the control channel which meant NO transmissions at all on these systems. If anyone is local SNJ area $20 and its yours. My only question now is does ANYONE make a better then stock all band handheld antenna?

"120/150/300/450/800/900mhz Bands Receiving" They only said it would work, not that it would work WELL! The first part where they talk about 2m/70cm came from the engineering department, the "120/150/300/450/800/900mhz Bands Receiving" was added by the marketing department so they could also sell to scanner folks. While this isn't exactly a lie, it also isn't the truth.

Reminds me of what a former president said, "It Depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XT-l-_3y0

happydriver

Went and purchased Radio Shack 20-283 800 mhz antenna. WOW, lost a little sensistivity on the VHF stuff but boy it sure comes clean on 800mhz trunked systems. Since retiring from local PD (800 trunked), I still like to keep tabs on whats going on. My dept (10 miles away) that used to be full of static is now crystal clear. Appreciate the info.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
RH77CA works fabulous on my 396XT and I listed to just about everything except CB.

kc2kth

Like others have observed and like most things in radio it all depends on your equipment and environment. I've used this antenna for years on several radios. Some radios seem to receive better than others with it in my location. Likely those are more sensitive receivers. I also have no large towers near me overloading my receivers so I don't have that to worry about. Still compared to the factory antennas on modern scanners the rh77ca is mediocre at best for most receiver uses. On an amateur 2m/70cm ht with a wideband receiver though the 77 is a convenient option since it can transmit on those bands plus act as somewhat of a decent receive antenna. One doesn't have to look hard to find a better scanner antenna though.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I find the RH77s work well for "UHF" (400) and below. When I need 7/800 in addition to other bands, I use the RH789 antenna.

gbriden

Have both Uniden and GRE scanners for 800 MHz and anything else my best performer by far is a

( Maldol / Comet. ) BNC-W100RX $35 Canadian seems fair to me.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I find the RH77s work well for "UHF" (400) and below. When I need 7/800 in addition to other bands, I use the RH789 antenna.

Second this, The RH789 is a good all around antenna. It's helped me out in a bunch of situations where the RH77 or W881 were simply lost. As Jay said, it works well on 700/800 when not extended. Works well on 450/512 extended to half and well on 150/170 extended all the way.

If you need 700/800, best bet is the RS 800mhz or Spectrum Force 700mhz. Both are very good in this range, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.