Amplified speaker mic / lapel speaker for scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

minh6710

Before, when portable scanner listeners wanted to listen to their scanners out in the field they had four options – the internal speaker, earbud, earbud(s) or headphones. It’s not always practical or comfortable to hold the radio up to your head or have something in or on top of your ears, especially for extended periods or in noisy environments that require both hands to be free. Today I want to introduce another solution – the battery operated amplified remote speaker mic / lapel speaker. I’ve been a radio user / scanner listener for over 20 years and I’m always searching for ways to bring more utility and enjoyment to the hobby. I’ve used everything from car cassette adapters to Apple earbuds to the line in aux input in my car. But for truly portable use I think it’s hard to beat a remote speaker positioned closer to your ears while your radio is securely mounted on your belt. Back in the day (1990’s) with the old Bearcat and Radio Shack scanners the old trusty Radio Shack Lapel Speaker RS 20-009 was an ok solution. It was flimsy and chintzy and for the price of $10 it wasn’t expected to have the best build quality. The coiled cable and clip weren’t the most robust but it worked well enough for the most part. Nowadays, as many of you may know, most new portable scanners are designed with circuitry that greatly attenuates the audio when any device is connected to the headphone / earphone jack, to prevent possible hearing damage that could result if full power from the audio amp is accidentally routed to headphones. When connected to earbuds or headphones for that reason the audio is sufficiently loud, but when connected to any kind of external speaker the sound is very, very low and is useable in only the quietest of environments. As explained earlier, it isn’t always feasible or desirable to have something in or on top of one’s ears. Short of lugging around powered computer speakers everywhere you go there really isn’t a good solution that works well for truly portable use. Scanner Master sells two different lapel speakers but the reviews are bad because the audio is low. For the price point, the build quality can’t be that good either. It isn’t the speaker’s fault that the audio is very low. Again, it’s the circuitry in the radio limiting it. I’ve been tempted to take an old Motorola JEDI series PSM public safety mic and modify it with a 3.5 mm audio jack and perform the old paper-clip/bread-tie-around-the-antenna-ground trick to create a short and bypass the audio resister but I’ve been hesitant to do so for fear of burning up my expensive Uniden BCD436HP or voiding the warranty. So a workable alternative has eluded us. Until now. I spent an exhaustive effort researching possible solutions until I came across a web site that manufactures amplified remote speaker mics for PTT / Zello applications on mobile phones. For the past four months I’ve repurposed it unofficially into a listen only device and it has been working extremely well, much better than any non-amplified lapel speaker you can find on the market (i.e. the Scanner Master lapel speaker). Mobile phones also have the same limitations built in so when I found it I became very excited wondering if it could be used for my purposes. The manufacturer is OEM / Klein Electronics and their amplified remote speaker mic model is the VALOR SPEAKER / MICROPHONE FOR ZELLO or OEM-VALOR-ZLO.

Valor Speaker / Microphone for Zello Phones

The price for the speaker mic is $135. Yes, it is a bit on the higher end of what many users may want to spend but it comes with a rechargeable battery included as well as a micro USB charging port and micro USB wall charger. When I initially called the company and asked them about the feasibility of using it as a listen only device for scanners they were befuddled, not knowing what to answer as their product was not designed for that purpose. I took a deep breath and went out on a limb and purchased it not knowing how well it was going to work, if it was going to work at all. I am here to tell you that the answer is a resounding YES. It is built extremely well, has a grippy rubber overmold and robust rotating clip. It is LOUD. Approximately 100 decibels. Like blow your ear off loud. The volume level on my Uniden BCD436HP goes up to 15 but I usually have it set at 7 or 8 with the speaker mic attached. For more volume I can crank it up to 11 or 12 but all the way up is not necessary. It comes with a right angle three conductor 3.5 mm jack and plenty of coiled heavy duty cable. You won’t be complaining about the cord being too short on this mic! In addition it has two audio ports on both the top and bottom for users who may want to plug in a listen only earbud while wearing it on the front (traditional way) or draped over the back towards the front. It has a three year warranty and comes in black or safety orange. The included battery lasts a long time. I will usually have to replace the AA batteries in my scanner three or four times or more before I have to replace the battery in the mic. Which leads to the next best thing about this speaker mic – the user replaceable battery. The battery resides in a compartment behind the back rotating clip. With a downward push of the battery compartment latch the rear rotating clip comes off and exposes the battery. It is chargeable in the mic but I have never charged it this way. The battery is a common Motorala BK70 or Rayovac CEL10926. The Motorola batteries are cheap and plentiful on eBay for less than $4. Motorola also makes a desktop charger for the battery, part number SPN5394A, also available on eBay for $8. For the price I bought a desktop charger and five extra batteries. I didn’t know this at the time, but honestly, I really didn’t need five extra batteries, because the battery lasts so long but still the idea of having a couple extra spares is nice. I’m the type that uses a battery until it is completely discharged before I recharge it so it’s nice knowing that if I’m out and the battery goes dead I can swap it out in seconds. For $3.70 for each battery I figured I couldn’t go wrong getting extras.

I wanted to take a few months to evaluate the speaker mic and use it before posting a review. That said, here are some of my findings: As stated earlier, the volume at full blast is loud. Over 100 decibels. I tested it unscientifically with a decibel meter app that I downloaded onto my iPhone. I replayed a recording of a fire tone-out, something that would be loud and consistent. From the build in scanner speaker, it peaked at 96 decibels. From the speaker mic it reached a maximum of 103. 103 doesn’t sound like it would be much of a difference over 96 decibels but it is. It is more room filling sound. If I understand correctly, the level of sound goes up exponentially as the decibels increase. A jet taking off, for example, would be around 140 decibels. A rock concert would be like 115 dB. You’ll probably rarely need it on full blast, but if you do, it will be more than loud enough.

The battery lasts for DAYS. You will be replacing the batteries in your radio before you replace the battery in the speaker. It is important to know that there is no on / off switch on the mic. Once the battery is inserted it is on. So even if you aren’t using it, even if it is unplugged from the radio, it is still on. But it lasts so long plus the inexpensive price of widely available spares makes this a non issue. A small red LED lights up unobtrusively on the back of the mic to let you know the battery is low.

The voice quality is good and clear. It sounds like a professional radio. Speech is clear and it is easy to understand what is being said.

Build quality is very good. It feels very solid in the hand and is easy to grip. All ports are covered with rubber flaps. The rotating clip has a tactile click. I have no trouble finding an attachment point on my clothes to attach it to. The cord has a heavy duty feel and weight to it and length is not an issue. The right angle connector fits well in the headphone port of my scanner is swivels out of the way. Strain reliefs are strong and rugged. I’ve dropped it a few times accidentally onto a hard concrete floor and it looked none the worse for wear. It has a professional look and feel. I haven’t had it out in inclement weather but it appears to be well sealed against the elements. It seems like it will last a long time.

There are two PTT buttons on it. One is the traditional one on the side and the other is the round speaker portion itself. The speaker is mounted on a clickable switch so it’s easy to find in any condition or orientation. I realize that won’t serve much purpose on a scanner but if you were so inclined to download the free Zello app, it works well for that. I did not have Zello before purchasing this mic, but it was free and why not? I use it casually to stay in touch with a small group of friends and it is reminiscent of the old Nextel days, right down to the sound effects. I’ve used Zello on iPhone and Android and the mic works well with both. The app itself is ok, but it does kick itself offline if it hasn’t been pulled up in the foreground after some time. It doesn’t’ work as well as a dedicated Nextel phone, when Nextel was in business but for the price, I can’t complain. I can create channels to talk to a group or privately PTT to individuals. The way I see it, it’s just icing on the cake.

Now, onto the bad. These aren’t deal breakers by any means, but my personal observations and opinions: The VALOR speaker mic isn’t going to win any beauty contests. I suppose I’m biased with my experience with Motorola products. Aesthetically it doesn’t compare to the sleekness of Motorola mics but it does the job. ‘Nuff said. Not that it’s terribly ugly by any means. It does look and sound professional. Because the engineers had to incorporate a battery compartment into the mic, it has to be a bit thicker than what I’m used to. There is no audible low battery indicator. There is a small red LED on the back that lights up, but I leave it off the radio for days at a time on the kitchen counter and would never notice it. It would be nice if it chirped to let you know it was low. After a few days of not using it the battery will be completely dead and I will know this when I plug it in and press the light key on the scanner which should beep. The latch holding the rotating clip on the back of the mic which also serves as the battery compartment cover is probably the weakest link. The cover has two tabs at the bottom and the spring loaded latch is at the top. So far, I haven’t had any issues with it, and the fit of the battery cover to the body of the mic is laser precise. But if any part is going to fail, I think it would be the latch or the tabs. I’m sure that the part would be covered by the three year warranty or would be easily available for purchase. The volume when cranked all the way up, especially if the battery has been partially depleted, will clip and distort some. Not obnoxiously, but it is there. It happens only at the highest settings, which you probably wouldn’t normally have it at. Replacing the battery with a fresh one alleviates it somewhat. It is still very much useable, and again, you probably wouldn’t want it at the highest settings, unless you want the volume to be uncomfortably loud. On the issue of price, while it may be higher than some may be wanting to spend, I think it is about reasonable for what you’re getting, which is a professional, rugged, well made speaker mic with built in circuitry and an amplifier with good clear sound. If you're willing to spend $500 for a flagship scanner, what's $135? It has been more than worth the price for me.

In conclusion, the VALOR RSM is a great solution for anyone desiring portability and the ability to place loud clear sound where they need it. I believe that the right accessory can make a device all that much better and more useful and enjoyable. This may not be the accessory for every portable scanner user, but I imagine it would make a huge difference for those who are in the law enforcement / security field or those who work or want to listen in noisy environments. I am using it on the Uniden BCD436HP scanner and it works absolutely well. I imagine it will work just as well with any scanner with a standard 3.5 mm earphone / headphone jack.

What’s in the box: VALOR RSM, battery, micro USB wall charger, quick start guide. Extra replacement batteries are available on their website for purchase for $40. Or you can find Motorola BK70 batteries on eBay for under $4.

In the Zello market for accessories there is only one other viable competitor, and it is the Savox Promate RSM-30 remote speaker mic. It is $140. If you go to the Zello website and click on accessories at the bottom you will be taken to a page of compatible products. Most of them are the in-the-ear bud types and a few wireless Bluetooth speakers. The Savox Promate RSM-30 is the only other wired battery operated speaker mic. It does look sleeker but I chose the VALOR RSM because it has a more traditional look to it and the cord does not veer off at a weird 45 degree downward angle like the Savox, which I am not sure would work well for my uses. No information as to if it accepts an inexpensive user replaceable battery or even if the battery is replaceable or how well overall it works, so I can’t vouch for that. If anyone does try the Savox, please post on here and let us know what you think. Likewise, if you purchase the Klein VALOR RSM I would really be interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions on it as well as what equipment you’re using it with. Please see the attached pictures for additional information. Any questions? Feel free to ask :)

Attachments

• IMG_5719.jpg
    IMG_5719.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4,648
  • IMG_5555.jpg
    IMG_5555.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4,491
  • IMG_5669.jpg
    IMG_5669.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 5,775
  • IMG_5640.jpg
    IMG_5640.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 4,353
  • IMG_5694.jpg
    IMG_5694.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4,331

minh6710

Here are some addition pics:

Attachments

• IMG_5532.jpg
    IMG_5532.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 4,219
  • IMG_5593.jpg
    IMG_5593.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 4,141
  • IMG_5674.jpg
    IMG_5674.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4,171
  • IMG_5685.jpg
    IMG_5685.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 4,201
  • IMG_5689.jpg
    IMG_5689.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 4,208

minh6710

More pics:

Attachments

• IMG_5546.jpg
    IMG_5546.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 4,128
  • IMG_5596.jpg
    IMG_5596.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 4,189
  • IMG_5651.jpg
    IMG_5651.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4,109
  • IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 4,248
  • IMG_5745.jpg
    IMG_5745.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 4,074

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info,i have a 396 xt and did buy the lapel mic from scanner master awhile ago and it is junk,very low and cheap,i may have to buy on of these. Thanks alot for your info and honesty on this oroduct

minh6710

Rick,

The mic will work great on your 396xt. I think you will really like it. If you buy it, please let me know what you think of it.

All the best,
Minh

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Rick,

The mic will work great on your 396xt. I think you will really like it. If you buy it, please let me know what you think of it.

All the best,
Minh

I finally bought one but in safety orange,i love that it is loud and you cant turn your scanner all the way up unless you want your ears to hurt-lol ,the mic is heavier than the normal motorola 2 way radio mics but it does not bother me,im happy i can hear my scanner now and a louder volume especially in very loud areas or at a fire scene

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5,015

minh6710

I did not think to mention the weight. I should have. It's just a bit heavier maybe, but not bothersome. Maybe I don't notice it so I didn't even think about it. Glad to hear it's working out for you. How long have you had it and how is your experience with the battery life? Remember, you can get spares on eBay for next to nothing. Your mic looks good with your radio and the orange is eye catching.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I just got it thursday and as you can see i have to send in my scanner in for a new keypad,i dont know about the battery life yet but im on,y gonna use it when i go to a fire scene to buff or in loud areas

verhoffj1

Premium Subscriber
I finally bought one but in safety orange,i love that it is loud and you cant turn your scanner all the way up unless you want your ears to hurt-lol ,the mic is heavier than the normal motorola 2 way radio mics but it does not bother me,im happy i can hear my scanner now and a louder volume especially in very loud areas or at a fire scene

Could you make a video of it and upload it to YOUTUBE? I am thinking about buying one and want to see if its worth the money..

teufler

External speaker that some may consider

I am adding this may be a better economic decision for an external speaker . This is not to say the Valor is not a good speaker addition, just the $135 dollar price and the expensive batteries may force other to look in another direction. I got this off of Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QPQNLC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
Was $6.69 but is now $9.99. Unit is the size of a $1.00 bill, runs on 2 AA batteries, and provides plenty of sound. Its actually 2 speakers and it will play stereo if the sound source delivers that. I have added a small 8" cable that extends the speakers input cable. I think its kind of short. In a vehicle the sound delivered is plenty loud to over come road noise. I use it on a 396xt, I don't have a meter to determine what sound level increase the speaker provides but I feel its double or more what the radio alone puts out. I normally run the radio with the external speaker on a setting of 4 or 5. 8 or 9 without and a higher battery drain on the higher settings. Depending on use, the batteries in the external speaker last a month or longer. I seemed to remember current draw was 20 mah.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
The great thing about the lapel mic is you can clip it to your shirt next next to you ear for those of us that photograph fire scenes or want to hear the scanner in loud enviroment,i use a speaker i bought from scanner master for my 996xt in my vehicle ans will use this mic speaker on my 396xt,ill make a video for you tube once i get some constant chatter on the scanner

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I presume the plug into the scanner is the correct one so as not to harm the scanner?...What if you accidently key the mike will it damage the scanner....TY

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Yes its a standard plug for the scanner , iphones and other equipment with that type of plug,and as far as keying the mic while into the scanner,i did it several times and my scannner is still working great

minh6710

I presume the plug into the scanner is the correct one so as not to harm the scanner?...What if you accidently key the mike will it damage the scanner....TY

It is a three conductor stereo plug. The third conductor being used to key the mic. I compared it to the earpods that came with my iphone - looks the same. The iphone has an mic, answer/hangup, pause/unpause button that uses the third conductor. The scanner is not wired for nor does it use the third conductor. If you can use the ipod/iphone earbuds with your scanner you can use this mic with no ill effects. I've been using my mic with my scanner for months with no problems. Keying it does nothing.

Attachments

• File Jul 23, 9 49 25 PM.jpg
    File Jul 23, 9 49 25 PM.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 3,649
Last edited:

minh6710

I am adding this may be a better economic decision for an external speaker . This is not to say the Valor is not a good speaker addition, just the $135 dollar price and the expensive batteries may force other to look in another direction. I got this off of Amazon. Amazon.com: iLuv SmashBox (iSP110) Portable Amplified Stereo Speaker Case: MP3 Players & Accessories
Was $6.69 but is now $9.99. Unit is the size of a $1.00 bill, runs on 2 AA batteries, and provides plenty of sound. Its actually 2 speakers and it will play stereo if the sound source delivers that. I have added a small 8" cable that extends the speakers input cable. I think its kind of short. In a vehicle the sound delivered is plenty loud to over come road noise. I use it on a 396xt, I don't have a meter to determine what sound level increase the speaker provides but I feel its double or more what the radio alone puts out. I normally run the radio with the external speaker on a setting of 4 or 5. 8 or 9 without and a higher battery drain on the higher settings. Depending on use, the batteries in the external speaker last a month or longer. I seemed to remember current draw was 20 mah.

This doesn't seem like a bad idea in theory, and might be worthwhile to look into for someone on a budget. It does appear cumbersome and without a solid clip might have more of a propensity to swing around a bit. Also looks large. For the money build quality and durability can't be expected to be the best. The replacement batteries for the VALOR aren't bad at all, they can be found on ebay for less than $4. I still would prefer something more purpose built and convenient for the application of monitoring a radio. I can clip mine anywhere and the size and sound is great. Also, on a side note, I was recently caught out in a monsoon like rain for several hours outside and got thoroughly drenched. I had my mic on and although it wasn't immersed in water or anything of the like it did get pretty wet. Works just fine. I was impressed!

Attachments

• Big Speaker.jpg
    Big Speaker.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,708

minh6710

Buckbull,

I have not had any experience with or ever heard the 15 watt Bearcat external speaker. I don't know the wattage of the speaker mic, but since it does not have the luxury of being powered by an external source and instead has to rely on an internal battery, I would surmise the wattage is less and that it is not as loud and definitely not louder than the Bearcat speaker. Having said that, what you get in return is the portability of a battery powered speaker in a much smaller form factor you can comfortably carry around with you that doesn't have to constantly wired into a power source. I can attest that at full volume it is more than loud. If you have it clipped on your shoulder or near your ear it will blow your damn ear off it's that loud. It's painfully loud. Here is an excerpt from an article I found online discussing wattage and loudness.

"Although it's not the easiest thing to comprehend, doubling the amplifier power does not double the loudness. In the above example, the sound from the speakers would not be "twice as loud"; it would only be "a little louder," an increase of 3 decibels. How loud is that? Hearing tests with large groups of people have revealed that a one-decibel (1 dB) change in loudness is approximately the smallest audible step that the average listener can detect, so an increase of 3 dB most listeners term "slightly louder."

So why doesn't that 100-watt amplifier always sound twice as loud? Because the acoustic decibel--the decibel (dB) being the unit of measurement used worldwide to quantify the acoustic loudness of sound--has a peculiar relationship to amplifier power output measured in electrical watts. That relationship is called "logarithmic." If that word gives you an instant headache (nightmares of high-school math), then here's a simpler explanation:

If a sound gets louder by 3 decibels or "slightly louder," it takes twice as much electrical power from your receiver or amp to produce that modest increase. Therefore, a 100-watt amplifier will produce sound only slightly louder than a 50-watt amplifier."

Here is the article in it's entirety:

Secrets of Amplifier and Speaker Power Requirements Revealed

Regards,
Minh

Status
Not open for further replies.