Bcd536hp & trx-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CQ

I’ve owned the Uniden BCD536HP for almost 3 years, purchased the DMR upgrade and enjoying it ever since. I had the RTC issue and finally decided to send it in for repair; it was at their facility for 8 days to include the Thanksgiving holiday and surprised they accepted it after so long. Thank you, Uniden!

I picked up the Whistler TRX-2 2 days before shipping the Uniden off and quickly determined the BCD536HP was the better choice thus far. This is the third day using them simultaneously since getting the BCD5360HP back and my decision still stands. I'm debating on returning the TRX-2 and getting a BCD436HP instead; even that handheld has a larger screen.

BCD536HP
• Screen is larger and displays more details about target; has 32 larger font characters across another 4 for HOLD status.
• Boots up much faster than the TRX-2, even with the RTC error I had asking me to reset the clock and letting it time out. Starts scanning 16 seconds after turning knob to power on after RTC repair.
• Speaker is louder; listening to people I talk with locally on Ham bands and has natural sounding audio.
• GPS scanning capability for those interested although I haven’t purchased or used the unit.
• Support for third-party software like ARC536.
• The Sentinel programming software is basic and not as polished as Whistler’s; need to manually find updates to it on their website.

TRX-2
• The Digital Trunking Scanner Programming System is more polished than Uniden’s and makes it easier to upgrade all components from a single interface.
• The ability to store different configurations via V-scanner is a nice function.
• The NXDN system upgrade was offered for free.
• Speaker isn't as loud and listening to people I talk with locally on Ham bands, sounds hollow.
• Feels like a tin can and the detachable head (something I don't care for) feels light and cheap; even the mount is thin.
• Screen is small and belongs on a handheld, not mobile/desktop scanner; has 16 characters across with smaller font.
• The supplied Whistler USB cable is way too short unless you're using a notebook on the same desk as the scanner.
• Only two of five white keys have lights and all other keys don't appear to have any lights behind them.
• Noticed backlighting display flickering and reported by others as well. Reached out to Tech support e-mail and responded on the third day saying they never heard of this issue and to try a new AC plug which didn't make a difference.
• Scanning shows top level lists instead of actual targets names.
• Paging system intermod on 2m Ham and 150-160MHz bands but not present on BCD536HP, receivers, SDRs or Ham gear. Tech support still hasn't responded about this issue.
• Too easy to accidentally edit config since clicking on something will automatically save config.
• Copying initial Library was extremely slow and stuck at 42%; clicking in the window appeared to wake it up as it looked like it was freezing. The same cable used with the BCD536HP updates the database much faster.
• Push button pad stiff and have to push harder to make it register
• Where's the manual frequency entry?
• Starts scanning 3 minutes and 7 seconds after holding button (for about 3 seconds) to power on.
• Every time you go into the Menu and back out, the lists reload again and you have to wait!
• No third-party software support.

CQ

Got My Money Back

After having additional issues with being the only radio encountering interference and general unpleasant operation, I returned it today. No big loss. The company had no solution for my issues but I had one with a refund.

Now patiently waiting for a Uniden SDS and enjoying BCD536HP and BCD436HP.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I think you'll enjoy the BCD436HP a lot! I love mine. I sent back the TRX-1 after buying both to test out.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have the 436 and 536. It's nice being able to use the same programming in both.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I wish the 536 had a real remote mountable control head. That was the deal breaker for me. I really do not like the TRX-2 at all but it fits in my car. Perhaps the Uniden engineers will get their heads out of the sand when the design the next generation scanner and have a remote head option.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The remote head design was dropped due to poor sales of the remote head for previous scanner models.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The remote head design was dropped due to poor sales of the remote head for previous scanner models.

Exactly. If Uniden would design the remote head as part of the radio like Whistler did and most all other amateur and professional radio gear out there instead of some after thought hack job like we had with the 996 series they wouldn't have too concern themselves with some bulky poorly designed optional device.

CQ

And for those that held NXDN against the Uniden models, it's now a no brainier.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Exactly. If Uniden would design the remote head as part of the radio like Whistler did and most all other amateur and professional radio gear out there instead of some after thought hack job like we had with the 996 series they wouldn't have too concern themselves with some bulky poorly designed optional device.

Just mount a BCD325P2 where you want it! :cool:

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Not interested in a removable faceplate in a scanner myself. Just something else to go wrong. I would suggest a plug-in separate head for those who want them. It could plug in a socket in the back of scanner. You could make it any size you wanted.

Voyager

You DO realize that the RH-96 was almost literally the front part of a 996, right? There is no difference than if the head were removable (as you say you wanted) vs using a different head. It's the identical size and shape as the 996 head.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I did not like my TRX-2 either, and wound up selling it on eBay. As a conventional receiver the radio was just OK - not bad, but not a stellar performer either. With P25 it was on par with its competitors, but that’s not saying much. What I truly hated was the ridiculous EZScan software, and the fact that Whistler wouldn’t allow third parties like Butel to develop any alternatives. Lamest freaking radio programming software I’ve ever used, and I’ve used many. I have never been fond of the RS/Whistler ‘scan list’ programming scheme either, but it was at least tolerable with programs like Win500. With EZScan? Meh!
Like you say, “No big loss”.

glimerman

Premium Subscriber
thank you for posting this review im new to the hooby and am torn between these to scanners myself the bearcat screen looks so much better on you tube i think this is the one i will get

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I've owned two 436HPs, still own two 536HPs and recently added an SDS100 to my arsenal. Had the TRX-1 for less than a year, sold it. Only advantages I found the TRX had over the Unidens is DMR & NXDN decode right out of the box & the ability to add to scanner memory via the database on the fly. RX was decent on the TRX but my Unidens blew it out of the water on pretty much every band. Just my two cents.

Edit:
Just noticed the subject was comparing the 536 to TRX-2. Woops! Feel free to remove if irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.