RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Seeking Advice

Seeking Advice - When you have no one to turn to we're here for you, even if our advice isn't that sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 7:12 PM

Default Children and Radio

My daughter has shown an interest in my radios. I have given her a scanner locked to a UHF CB channel and use my handheld to talk to her. As she grows I want to encourage this at an age appropriate level. What age did most of you show an interest in radios and how can I encourage this as she grows? Do many of you have children who have "followed in your foot steps?"
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2017, 7:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For me, nine. I built a crystal radio at the age of nine. It was built using a Philmore crystal and catwisker, a lot of magnet wire, and a toilet roll. Two years later, I built a two transistor radio, from a circuit in a magazine.
Old 04-11-2017, 4:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

At age 8 I discovered that I could shove the antenna on my Truetone walkie-talkie (CB channel 14) against the ground lead from our house's lightning rods and actually get out a couple of miles on the (alleged) 100 mW it outputted. I don't think there is an age young enough where it is inappropriate to get a child involved in the radio hobby, provided appropriate parental guidance is supplied.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Don't know how old your daughter is. I got my nephews interested real young with FRS radios. They think it's cool to run around Cedar Point (an amusement park in Ohio) talking on them. Cheap enough if they lose or break 'em, what's the big deal.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 AM

As soon as they can put the batteries in they are good to go !
Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 AM

I have been looking on eBay and can get some cheap walkie talkies to play with.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 AM

Thats a good idea to start off with cheap ones. I remember going camping with my son and we were having a good time with our walkie talkies. Then all of a sudden dead air
No response. My first thought was his safety. I found him right away. But he had no walkie
I asked him where was the walkie ? He said that he got bored and set it down and did not remember where he left it. I found it later ,on a rock.