Storm Spotter Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

FantomHawk

Hey guys I'm in Aurora Colorado and would love to be a storm spotter. I just don't know what it takes to be a certified storm spotter can anyone help me?? Also I have been told that if I'm going to be a storm spotter I need to get my ham radio license. Is that true and if so why??
Thanks

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Here's the national website for info: NWS SKYWARN
As for locally, you can navigate to your local NWS weather forecast office and see what their spring training schedule is.

No, you don't have to have a ham license but it helps.

FantomHawk

Here's the national website for info: NWS SKYWARN
As for locally, you can navigate to your local NWS weather forecast office and see what their spring training schedule is.

No, you don't have to have a ham license but it helps.

Ok thanks. How would having a ham radio license help I'm just curious what I would use it for??
Thanks for the SKYWARN info.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Most of not all of the NWS offices liason with SKYWARN and ham radio operators to get detailed reports from the field of storm activity. I suppose you could be a certified spotter and submit reports by the internet or telephone, but the majority of the reporting is done by folks with the same certifications and training and for many, years of it, via ham radio. The Tech ticket is easy to get, then you could join right in with the reporting action. If nothing else tune a receiver to the local SKYWARN freq in your area during storms and hear up to the minute, detailed reporting of the bad stuff.

reedeb

Many hams use the radios during severe weather [they have nets and set up in different areas to monitor the weather] many also have direct communications right to their NWS offices. While you don't need to be a ham operator to join SKYWARN sometimes it helps [sometimes the folks at NWS are a bit busy to answer a phone]

FantomHawk

Many hams use the radios during severe weather [they have nets and set up in different areas to monitor the weather] many also have direct communications right to their NWS offices. While you don't need to be a ham operator to join SKYWARN sometimes it helps [sometimes the folks at NWS are a bit busy to answer a phone]

Ok thanks guys!!!! How would I go about getting my ham license then?? Also does the SKYWARN certification and getting the HAM license cost anything??

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I would suggest moving your question to the amateur radio forums!!! Probably a search will answer your questions.

FantomHawk

I would suggest moving your question to the amateur radio forums!!! Probably a search will answer your questions.

Ok what about the SKYWARN question does the SKYWARN certification cost anything??
Thanks I'll ask the ham questions on the amateur radio forum.

Confuzzled

Most NWS offices offer spotter classes. You sit through the class, you get a certificate. No requirements, no testing, no cost.

I don't know if our NWS office uses Hams or not. We do most everything by phone or eSpotter.

Denver/Boulder session schedule: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/?n=spot_training

The National Weather Service in Boulder conducts 25 to 30 spotter training sessions each year mostly during March, April, and May. From late May through the summer due to severe weather, Weather Service resources are limited and not readily available for spotter training.

These talks are free and open to the public. At each session we offer basic training followed by advanced training. You can be a certified Skywarn severe weather spotter after 90 minutes of basic training or stay for the advanced portion of the training. The National Weather Service will count on you to be our "eyes" out in the field, when trying to verify severe weather across northeast Colorado. The National Weather Service in Boulder warns for 22 counties, and your reports are very helpful to us as we make warning decisions on severe thunderstorms.

We request that you register with the contact point for the talk you plan to attend. In the event of spring snow storms, check this page for possible cancellations and updates.

Last edited:

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Ok what about the SKYWARN question does the SKYWARN certification cost anything??
Thanks I'll ask the ham questions on the amateur radio forum.

There is no "Certification" in skywarn. People who claim to have any sort of certification have bestowed that title upon themselves.

At most, you can be trained by the National Weather Service and be assigned an identification number... Then the NWS personnel know that they trained you.

reedeb

There is no "Certification" in skywarn. People who claim to have any sort of certification have bestowed that title upon themselves.

At most, you can be trained by the National Weather Service and be assigned an identification number... Then the NWS personnel know that they trained you.

Most places after you take the course they give you a certificate of completion [I believe they stopped passing ot numbers as It was becoming a problem]

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
The NWS doesn't organize spotters. They don't offer any official certification. Your local WFO may give you a certificate of completion, but that does little more than grant you a warm fuzzy feeling.

To the OP: If you want to be a spotter, Attend a training session (Free), gather the required information and decide how you wish to report severe weather (Phone, Ham Radio, etc.) and just go do it.

spot training

There is a listing of spotter training in your area. The person giving the presentation would have information that pertains more to your specific area.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Most places after you take the course they give you a certificate of completion [I believe they stopped passing ot numbers as It was becoming a problem]

It is difficult to display a certificate of completion over the phone. Spotter numbers make identifying NWS Trained spotters quick and easy.

EDIT: I never received any certificates or anything like that... Seems like a wonderful way to waste taxpayer dollars.

W9NES

Skywarn Spotters are used in Ham Radio as others have posted in this fourm. The National Weather Service Office here in Indianapolis USED to give out cards every year with a certification number.Now they no longer do this.All you have to do is go to a Skywarn Class as others have posted.The Class last about 2 and a half hours and then you are done.To keep up on changes you need to go EVERY YEAR.If you wish to become a Active Ham Radio Operator who protects your community during servere weather I would refer you to any active Ham Radio Operator in your area or a Local Ham Radio Club.You can get all the infomation from the ARRL American Radio Relay League.Simply type in your computer browser ARRL and you will find the link.

WQOC472

Emergency Management

Check with your Local county Office of Emergency Management. Some Counties Emergency Management Offices have volunteer spotter groups set-up that go spotting directly for the county instead of for the NWS. This way they the EOC can get local storm reports in faster via telephone, public safety radio, ham radio, ect... My county has a Auxiliary group that goes spotting for our Emergency Management Office. We do have to go through some training. But they do not require us to have a ham radio license. Upon completing training we are issued a pager, Mobile and Portable Public Safety radio and were pretty much ready to go spotting, we do other things as well like assisting local police, fire, and ems on large calls and Traffic Control at wrecks, and parades and such.

FantomHawk

Check with your Local county Office of Emergency Management. Some Counties Emergency Management Offices have volunteer spotter groups set-up that go spotting directly for the county instead of for the NWS. This way they the EOC can get local storm reports in faster via telephone, public safety radio, ham radio, ect... My county has a Auxiliary group that goes spotting for our Emergency Management Office. We do have to go through some training. But they do not require us to have a ham radio license. Upon completing training we are issued a pager, Mobile and Portable Public Safety radio and were pretty much ready to go spotting, we do other things as well like assisting local police, fire, and ems on large calls and Traffic Control at wrecks, and parades and such.

Thanks for the info!!! Sounds good I'll check in with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.