storm chasers question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be heading to Neb. later this summer, Do stormers commuicate on 2 meters or what freqs?
I am sure you folks dont use CB.
Any info and areas will be of help
thank you
DW

frazpo

Will be heading to Neb. later this summer, Do stormers commuicate on 2 meters or what freqs?
I am sure you folks dont use CB.
Any info and areas will be of help
thank you
DW

Most chasers (if hams) use local 2m repeaters. However for car to car spotter radio traffic 146.550 is pretty much the universal simplex frequency while in the field.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Many chasers now use the Zello app on iPhone and Android. It works very similar to a Nextel phone and as long as you have working data, you can communicate around the country/world. There are several support channels set up on Zello to provide information to chasers, such as people who work the radar apps or can relay information to authorities so that the focus remains on safety.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Many chasers now use the Zello app on iPhone and Android. It works very similar to a Nextel phone and as long as you have working data, you can communicate around the country/world. There are several support channels set up on Zello to provide information to chasers, such as people who work the radar apps or can relay information to authorities so that the focus remains on safety.

Bit of an older thread but man...it must be nice having data outside of city limits. Doesn't really exist out here.

N0IU

I don't know if oldradioguy2010 is still following this thread, but any time I see someone with questions about storm chasing, it sends a chill up my spine. I have lost count of the number of storm spotter classes I have taken and have even attended storm spotting seminars held at the University of Oklahoma and the one thing they all have in common is that they emphasize that under no circumstances whatsoever do they even remotely suggest that anyone "chase" storms.

For anyone who thinks it would be "cool" to chase storms, I have two words for you; Tim Samaras.

Although he did not have a college degree in meteorology, he was one of the foremost experts in the world in the study of tornadoes and convective storms. He, along with professional meteorologist Carl Young and his son Paul were killed on May 31, 2013 while chasing storms near El Reno, Oklahoma.

My point is that there are very few people who have an understanding of the nature of tornadoes and Tim was one of them. Now he's dead.

Do you still want to chase storms?

N5TWB

I don't know if oldradioguy2010 is still following this thread, but any time I see someone with questions about storm chasing, it sends a chill up my spine. I have lost count of the number of storm spotter classes I have taken and have even attended storm spotting seminars held at the University of Oklahoma and the one thing they all have in common is that they emphasize that under no circumstances whatsoever do they even remotely suggest that anyone "chase" storms.

For anyone who thinks it would be "cool" to chase storms, I have two words for you; Tim Samaras.

Although he did not have a college degree in meteorology, he was one of the foremost experts in the world in the study of tornadoes and convective storms. He, along with professional meteorologist Carl Young and his son Paul were killed on May 31, 2013 while chasing storms near El Reno, Oklahoma.

My point is that there are very few people who have an understanding of the nature of tornadoes and Tim was one of them. Now he's dead.

I agree with your post and would add that, IMO, the title of the sub-forum should be changed to storm spotting. Having similar storm spotter class and field experience as you, I'll repeat your point about the NWS very specifically using that terminology so they can create a mindset that places observer safety as a first priority, not the "chase."

As to Tim Samaras and the Youngs, I used to live near where they were killed so I'm familiar with the area. I've also seen the NWS presentation on that storm and how it looped back to catch them unable to escape due to the roads. In my opinion, there are 3 things that are essential to the endeavor of weather observation as an up-close and personal experience: knowledge, skills, and luck. As you've pointed out, there was a bunch of knowledge and skill in the Samaras vehicle that fateful day. Unfortunately, luck ran out at the most unfortunate time and had deadly consequences. "Chasing" amplifies the need for luck to an unacceptable degree for most, especially those without a depth of knowledge and skill.

Oldradioguy here, yes I have great respect for mother nature. My question was for scanning only, not for chasing. I only wanted to monitor a set of freqs as l passed thrust the midwest. I do thank you for your concern.
Thank you and marry Christmas to all. Oldradioguy

prerunner1982

To tie this to Ham radio, Tim was also a ham, WJ0G.

Twistex-Car-jpg.jpg

twjr80

Feed Provider

Yes, I still want to and do chase storms. The deal with the El Reno Ok tornado and TWISTEX is that many chasers ended up driving down dirt/rock roads that were either muddy or very unsafe to be on. They did it any way. The storm/tornado was one of those rare occasions that they do not follow text book descriptions/explanations. My wife and I chase every year and keep a good safe distance from tornadoes.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Either way - I've seen them use anything from ham, to MURS/GMRS/FRS, phones, etc. You name it, its in use.

The usual ham calling freq's on VHF and UHF are popular but most travel in groups with prearranged freq's. There is no actual standards - just what people decide upon.

Out in the plains you have disorganized groups on ham radio repeaters to NWS/EMA sponsored groups. Some take it way to seriously and need to follow all the ham rules in reporting and others are more relaxed/realtime and get the same job done.

In short, just do band scans on the scanner in the area and you'll find something.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
Yeah for simplex it's 146.550. In Kansas the NWS spotters use the K-Link Repeater Network (KS0LNK). It's a linked network with coverage over nearly the entire state. Normally open for general use, but when severe weather is happening it is only used for weather-related traffic. It is streamed on Broadcastify, but if you want to use it or scan OTA the frequencies/PL are listed at K-Link Repeater Network – Clear Across Kansas

KB7MIB

In Arizona, there's a mix of 2m and 70cm repeaters used by the Ham licensed Skywarn spotters around the state. (And from what I understand, only about 25% of Skywarn spotters in Arizona are licensed Hams.) I'm not aware of the use of 146.550 or any other simplex frequency by Ham licensed chasers or spotters, or of the use of CB, MURS, GMRS or any other two-way radio service. That's not to say it isn't used, I'm just not aware of it.

John
Peoria, AZ
MAA-503

Status
Not open for further replies.