storm chasers code

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dallasreggie

i was needing the storm chasers code for my new scanner.

D

dallasreggie

additional question

also what is the phone number to contact someone if i have questions about the codes

D

dallasreggie

im asking. there are certain codes to find the frequencies on my radio scanner for the toronado/ storm chasers

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It would help if you told us what model scanner you're trying to program? 73, n9zas

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Very few hams are storm chasers. Our training is to watch for certain conditions, report them and then seek safe shelter if severe weather approaches. The RR database has frequencies for many areas, including emergency management and ham radio Skywarn or ARES-RACES.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
146.550 seems to be the most common
Yes that's one of the simplex frequencies listed in the various repeater directories. There are Tons of other repeaters listed as severe weather nets as well. There are several in my area alone. :wink: 73, n9zas

RayAir

Try checking the database on here for your county and under amateur radio there might be some listed Skywarn net frequencies.

Or if severe weather is imminent try limit searching the 2m and 70cm amateur radio bands to see if any nets are active.

On another note to the other poster , the code was up, up, down, down, left, right , left, right, b, a, b, a, select start.

ab5r

I believe that because of the large areas and distances that they may have to cover: counties, states and who knows; they use cellphone communication mostly. Scanner reception of actual "Chasers" would not be likely, unless they were close by. Also, local amateur radio "Spotters" could be listened too on the local SKYWARN frequency. You may have Chasers and Spotters confused.

n5ims

Since you didn't list your location we can't be very specific in our answers to your question. Start out in the RR Database (RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database) and select your state (also any nearby states if you are near the border). Click on the "Amateur Radio" tab for your state and you should find a list of all (reported) ham repeaters in your state. There should be ones that are listed with one or more of these terms "Skywarn", "Storm Spotters", "ARES", "RACES", "WX Spotters", etc. Those frequencies should be good places to start.

Be aware, however, that unless there is an active storm spotter net in progress (either a training net or due to severe weather in that repeater group's coverage area) you may just hear normal chatter by normal hams. Some repeaters cover a very wide area for their storm spotter coverage and others may have a very narrow area (one county or even just one city) so you may need to monitor several to see which covers the area(s) that interests you. Some county pages also will list Skywarn repeaters for that county as well so also check the page for your county!

You might also want to use the National Weather Service's web site for your local area (again since you haven't listed your location I can't be specific here) and see if they have a page for Skywarn activity in your area. Many do and list the frequencies for spotters and coverage areas. Start here --> National Weather Service Southern Region homepage <-- and find your area's web site to see what it includes. Often there will be a list of Skywarn training classes as well. Often you must have attended one or more of these classes to be welcome on a skywarn net as a spotter. Be aware, however, that most classes are in the late winter or early spring since that allows time for training close to the start of the severe weather season.

N8IAA

Well, the OP hasn't been on for three days. Maybe he is out chasing storms. Personally, if I was looking for storm chasers, I'd put in a search for VHF and UHF frequencies, since they seem to be using radios other than ham. Maybe even CB.
Larry

twjr80

Feed Provider

N0IU

Very few hams are storm chasers.

There are tons of hams who are storm chasers.

I am 100% in agreement with jaspence on this one. I think a lot of people are confusing storm spotting with storm chasing. When one takes a storm spotting class, they will tell you that under no circumstances at all whatsoever do they condone the practice of pursuing an active severe weather situation.

Yes, storm chasing is "romanticized" on the Discovery Channel, but this should only be done by trained meteorologists who are collecting scientific data and who understand the nature of these storms and who also understand that things can, and do, go terribly wrong which can lead to fatal results.

If you decide to chase storms, you are doing so at your own risk. NOAA will not pay for any damage to your vehicle OR YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.