RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Severe Weather / Storm Chasing

Severe Weather / Storm Chasing - Forum for the discussion of severe weather radio communications and storm chasing radio communications related topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2018, 9:05 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As of today, the NOAA transmitters are still down. Gas is a scarce commodity during disasters and you can only store so much. I had one tarp, but it was nowhere big enough for the damage. If I planned ahead for every single scenario, then I would have zero room (or money) for anything else.
Old 10-23-2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
...If I planned ahead for every single scenario, then I would have zero room (or money) for anything else.
That is probably similar to what the people at NOAA say when discussing their VHF transmitter infrastructure.
Old 10-23-2018, 8:21 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

But, they are in the business of providing a service that people depend on. I am in the business of protecting me and my family. There is a huge difference. I know ahead of time what the results of my decisions will be, but the millions of folks that depend on NOAA for alerts have zero choice on the decisions that NOAA makes.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:08 PM

I don't think that the VHF NOAA service is nearly as important in the overall scheme of things as it was 25 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go completely away in the next 20 years or so.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastr View Post
I don't think that the VHF NOAA service is nearly as important in the overall scheme of things as it was 25 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go completely away in the next 20 years or so.
Perhaps the re-circulating weather information is not as important as it used to be but the watches and warnings are still as valid as they ever were.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
It's not, but until cellular service is treated as emergency communications or a "public service", it has to be maintained.

Anyway, what could it possibly cost to maintain a NWS transmitter? How about all of them? Certainly less than one F22.
Old 10-24-2018, 7:28 PM

Post Depending on Weather Radio

Quote:
I depend on weather radio for watches and warnings - like tornadoes and thunder storms. I also depend on it for weather information when I have a power outage (with resulting loss of internet and TV reception).

Jim41
Old 10-24-2018, 7:42 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim41 View Post
I depend on weather radio for watches and warnings - like tornadoes and thunder storms. I also depend on it for weather information when I have a power outage (with resulting loss of internet and TV reception).

Jim41
I did as well, but now I won't trust it again. I put NOAA transmitters up there with public safety transmitters. Anything dealing with life-safety should never be down for this long. It's still down tonight as I type this. I'd be embarrassed if I were the NOAA admin. It does make me wonder, especially when the other member said that the NY NOAA site has been down for a long time, what the TV station is going to do next year for their Weather Radio Wednesday event if the transmitter is still down. I know I won't be volunteering my time to promote a service that is this fragile.

I own and maintain 9 repeaters and I manage to keep them on the air on my feeble budget.
Old 10-24-2018, 8:35 PM

What most people don't understand is just where many of these NOAA transmitters are located. Once you get out of a city, these transmitters are generally located on hills or mountains. The power lines to these transmitters are long and subjected to tree caused outage from storms.

When I lived up in New Hampshire, I actually did maintain several of these transmitters. Most of them did not have a backup generator to keep them on the air due to power outages.

The other issues are due to antennas that get damaged due to lightning damage or wind damage. It takes time to obtain a replacement antenna as no radio repair shop is willing to buy and stock a spare antenna for any NOAA and not get paid for holding the antenna in stock. Only when repairs are done does any radio shop get paid.

So the reasons any NOAA transmitters are out of service could be for several reasons. In some cases the weather service may not even know the transmitters are off the air. So it doesn't hurt to call the weather service and talk to them about any problems you may find with any transmitter.
Old 10-24-2018, 8:51 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They know, at least they do here in ENC (Newport Weather Office). I'm not giving them a pass on their poor service to the affected area.
Old 10-24-2018, 8:57 PM
Lead Wiki Manager
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You are in Onslow County, right? The NWS web site says that both KEC84 on 162.400 MHz and KXI95 on 162.425 MHz cover parts of Onslow County. NWS goes on to say that KEC84 is still down, but they say that KXI95 is operating normally.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 10-24-2018, 9:02 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm on the NE part of the county and I'm not receiving any of the transmitters from my location.
Old 10-24-2018, 9:03 PM

Sorry to hear about the extended outage Rescue161.

Your situation with NOAA is something that those of us in major earthquake country have to bear in mind when considering possible emergency information -- especially those people in rural areas that would (or will) be affected.
Old 10-24-2018, 9:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There's no excuse for NOAA weather transmitters to be off for extended periods. Seems they're are the first to go off and the last to come back on during a disaster. Some have commented they don't have back up generators, why not? As the primary point of entry of the EAS they should be backed up as much or more as any public safety radio system.

Last edited by CarolinasFeedNet; 10-24-2018 at 9:22 PM..
Old 10-25-2018, 10:41 AM

Question Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
I did as well, but now I won't trust it again. I put NOAA transmitters up there with public safety transmitters. Anything dealing with life-safety should never be down for this long. It's still down tonight as I type this. I'd be embarrassed if I were the NOAA admin. It does make me wonder, especially when the other member said that the NY NOAA site has been down for a long time, what the TV station is going to do next year for their Weather Radio Wednesday event if the transmitter is still down. I know I won't be volunteering my time to promote a service that is this fragile.

I own and maintain 9 repeaters and I manage to keep them on the air on my feeble budget.
Have you communicated with your Congressional Representative on this matter. Sometimes, they can be very effective in helping with local problems.

Jim41