Spotter Roll Call!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bluegrass 1DCR1 / KI4RDG here. Certified basic and advanced, spotting in the Louisville KY area on 146.700 MHz 79.7 pl negitive offset. Glad to see that there's a spotter forum on here now.

Last edited:

ROY_PICKETT

I am glad we got it now.. this could be fun...Storms have alwase interested me.. When some people go inside during a storm , i stay outside and watch till it starts raining bad. It is kind of energizing. I am not a storm chaser but would love it.... Roy

cellblock776

I took the training when it was offered a couple of years ago at the East Baton Rouge OEP. The class was attended by Police, Fire, public works and hams. The hams havn't had an active SKYWARN net around here in years. If anyone does any spotting they are not doing it on the ham repeaters here.

kc8bdk

Premium Subscriber
Skywarn Trained... for the last 12 years.

I also run an EMWIN resource for the spotters in the county now. its pretty basic right now, but now that I have some time...

http://www.wa8mac.net/skywarn_live.htm

one of the sites that I have seen that is AWESOME is http://weather.kd5knr.net/ Billy is from the Dallas/fort Worth TX area. out of all the Skywarn info pages.. his is the best I have seen!!

okiescan

Help

How does one go about being certified, to chase and report on storms? Living right in the heart/pancreas of tornado alley, I have seen at least 10 tornandos in my life, that force is just mesmerizing!!! It is beautiful yet deadly, gorgeous but lethal! ....like deer caught in the headlights !!!!..........Thanks

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
EC Oneida/Madison Counties Upstate NY, Binghamton NWS field office forcast area. FYI, not every field office "certifies" spotters. Binghamton is one that doesn't. That being said, everyone really should take the basic every couple of years. It helps my net controls not have to sort through extraneous reports.

For information realting to NWS spotter programs contact your local NWS field office or visit their web page. There really are two spotter programs, SKYWARN which requires an amateur radio license, and the "civilian" (is that the right word?) program for people who are not licensed. You can also become an official rainfall and/or snowfall reporting station. There are many ways for people to be involved in weather.

wdz

Feed Provider
KC8ZEX here, card carrying national weather service spotter... watching over the Columbus, Ohio area! :)

elk2370bruce

Would like to get the training but neither of the courses have been offered within any reasonable driving distance in many moons. Guess Central Jersey doesn't count despite the presence of both an undergraduate and graduate program smack in the middle of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.