EMWIN decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Been searching around lately, haven't found anything new in the EMWIN Decoding Department...

Has anyone come up with a working soundcard-driven demodulation/decoding package for EMWIN transmissions, or are we still stuck in the Dark Ages of decoding with black boxes and serial ports?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Actually the soundcard idea is not really a good one, certainly not supported by any of the developers.

But to answer your question - no. Not until the new satellite comes online, which could be anytime in the next few years (depends on status of current satellite.)

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, should have been more specific....I meant the VHF retransmissions...

halb50

Premium Subscriber
EMWIN Decoding

Found EMWIN transmissions on 163.325 MHz in Chicago area. Have had success decoding data with an old Universal M-7000 decoder, using the ASCII 1200 baud mode. Was also able to decode data stream using RealTTY program, but it displayed a lot of control characters along with data. The M-7000 had much cleaner copy.

Have also been looking for a sound card based decoder, but most do not go beyond decoding 600 baud. Will also try using a data slicer for COM port interfacing.

Last edited:

halb50

Premium Subscriber
Additonal EMWIN Information

Found that mixW Ham shareware program works quite well decoding EMWIN data stream through sound card. Had no trouble obtaining clean copy. Would like to find something more specific to this application, as there is a lot of data transmitted that is not specific to the weather interest area.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what you mean about non-weather related info... EMWIN is entirely dedicated to weather sources.

halb50

Premium Subscriber
EMWIN Weather Interest Area

Hi
That was a bad choice of words, sorry. I meant that the data from the Internet covers weather data from all over the country, rather than being specific to the area I am interested in. The EMWIN data stream I'm receiving over the radio covers Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Missouri.

Hal

Last edited:

halb50

Premium Subscriber
Additional EMWIN Decoder Information

Was able to obtain the parts for an EMWIN 1200 Baud modem from EBay (in the case of the TCM3105JL chip) and from Newark Electronics for the MAX232ACPE. Other parts can be obtained from Radio Shack, Newark and Mouser Electronics. A link to the schematic is shown below:

http://www.weather.gov/emwin/schemat.htm (Xenocode DM-201B demodulator)

The total cost for the modem was under $20. The circuit was first built on a breadboard and tested with several software packages. It works quite well using the discriminator outputs from both PRO-2005 and PRO-2041 scanners. The discriminator signal output from a BCD996T is too low to adequately drive the circuit. Audio output into the modem will also work just fine.

Last edited:

mondaro

Feed Provider
Just downloaded about a week or so a go Real EMWIN for my computer from Skywatch Services.
Not only the program great but so is the customer services is OUTSTANDING !

So if your thinking about getting the program don't delay it's worth it !!

Tony Mondaro
Harrison, NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.