Shortwave awards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

Is anyone trying to qualify for a shortwave listening award or has anyone received one?

Certainly the ham radio awards are flourishing nicely, but what about SWLs ?

NASWA claims to issue 50 awards for giving proof of reception to shortwave broadcasts: THE NASWA AWARDS PROGRAM

A google search for "NASWA award" or "shortwave award" comes up without any photos of actual awards.

Are they still being awarded? Has any ever been awarded?

Just curious.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes they have - and I happen to have a few myself. The awards program has been around for a LONG time. It's nothing fancy, mind you.

Of course, the easy way to find out the answer is to join NASWA and participate. I've been a member - on and off - since the early 80s. But you knew I was going to say that, didn't you (HI)? 73 Mike

[edit] By the way, if you join, you can subscribe (free) to the Flashsheet for hot SWBC tips, and you will be able to get to the NASWA Yahoo group for even more tips. In addition, they are now making available an Excel-based scheduler combiner which takes several schedules like HFCC and EiBi and combines them for easy cross referencing.

Last edited:
I was thinking of joining, but $29 seems a lot, just to be a part of a club with no real benefits that I can see. Maybe I am wrong, but do you get any publications, access to a secret database of Frequencies, or is just send $29 and say hey I am a member of the NASWA. I am going to look into those awards, thanks for the link.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To be honest, I haven't seen a report on the awards in some time. I think they are published in the Journal once a quarter, and I haven't got the March issue yet. As for other benefits beyond just the Journal, see my earlier reply. They even have a small company store where you can buy various publications such as the WRTH and Passport. Ask one of the NASWAns at the meetings at Universal to show you a copy of the Journal - it's always packed with more than just tips 73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.