RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Shortwave Broadcast


Shortwave Broadcast - Discussions regarding shortwave broadcasters

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2021 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New York N.Y.
Posts: 173
Default

[QUOTE=Boombox;2824537]^^^^^^ Yes and no. I've been using the same indoor antenna since 2011, and used to pull in a *lot* more SW than I do now. Especially Radiobras (Amazonia) -- conditions had to be abysmal for it not to come in.


What indoor antenna are you using?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2022 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2017, 6:09 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 312
Default

Glenn Hauser's World of Radio on 11.580 khz 2300z to probably 2330z.
Reply With Quote
  #2023 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2018, 9:44 AM
ridgescan's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, Ca.
Posts: 4,246
Default

Fantastic conditions here on a Sunday morning-a shot of the good old BBC transmitting at a little over 11,000 miles from Talata-Volonondry, Madagascar on 12095kHz. I love Winter propagation!
https://youtu.be/VQbTKyCZhZU
__________________
BC785D to Diamond D130J @50'
IcomR71A, RS DX-160 to Wellbrook loop @50'
IcomR75,
'54 SX-88 #127 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Reply With Quote
  #2024 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2018, 1:17 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox View Post
^^^^^^ Yes and no. I've been using the same indoor antenna since 2011, and used to pull in a *lot* more SW than I do now. Especially Radiobras (Amazonia) -- conditions had to be abysmal for it not to come in.


What indoor antenna are you using?
It's a 25-30 foot wire that is folded back on itself and runs in a rough L, in the second story of the house. So It might be longer than 25-30 feet... But that's probably its effective length. I put it up after I began to get re-interested in SWL and Ham listening in 2011. On SW I've used it with my DX-398, 390, and 440.

PS Sorry for the late reply... Didn't notice it until just now.
Reply With Quote
  #2025 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2018, 2:29 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Default

Voice of America in English & Korean. 9975khz Target: Korea at 2030UTC. Clear skies here, about 250 south of Anchorage. Best signal quality I've heard in a year.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2026 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2018, 2:38 PM
ridgescan's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, Ca.
Posts: 4,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaListener View Post
Voice of America in English & Korean. 9975khz Target: Korea at 2030UTC. Clear skies here, about 250 south of Anchorage. Best signal quality I've heard in a year.
Nice catch! Getting it here too @ +10-+20 over 9. Transmitting from Udan-Thani, Thailand. 15580kHz VOA is also strong from Botswana at 2042UTC. s7-9.
__________________
BC785D to Diamond D130J @50'
IcomR71A, RS DX-160 to Wellbrook loop @50'
IcomR75,
'54 SX-88 #127 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Reply With Quote
  #2027 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 AM
mbott's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Delaware County OH EN80nd
Posts: 212
Default

Started the morning on RNZI with a good signal into central Ohio on 7425. With the rain, my noise floor was down about 20dBm and my QRM less than 95% of normal. Love the rain.

--
Mike
__________________
2 Star Roamers ICF-2010 ATS-909X IC-R75 & IC-7300 PL-660 R-1000 & R-5000 FRG-7 RSP2 HF+ NRD-535D GP-5/SSB RF Pro-1B ALA1530LNP
Reply With Quote
  #2028 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:29 AM
c_snyder's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 89
Default

I've been receiving radio saudi from riyadh pretty well here in northern indiana on 13710, 15205 and 15435 during the day. About a month ago I installed a new mini whip outside on the south wall of my office building and i'm very impressed with how well it works.
Reply With Quote
  #2029 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 11:57 AM
ridgescan's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, Ca.
Posts: 4,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_snyder View Post
I've been receiving radio saudi from riyadh pretty well here in northern indiana on 13710, 15205 and 15435 during the day. About a month ago I installed a new mini whip outside on the south wall of my office building and i'm very impressed with how well it works.
Elaborate upon the "mini whip" brand so others know exactly what antenna impressed you they may want to get one too!
__________________
BC785D to Diamond D130J @50'
IcomR71A, RS DX-160 to Wellbrook loop @50'
IcomR75,
'54 SX-88 #127 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Reply With Quote
  #2030 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 1:19 PM
c_snyder's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 89
Default

I don't know if it has an exact brand name but I purchased it on ebay from a seller in London. He sells both assembled units and kits you can put together yourself but it appears his assembled listings are out of stock right now. If you search for "IP33 mini whip" you should find a listing for it.

Here's a link to his website. On that page is a link to a document that describes the specs and has some assembly instructions.

OE1GPA mini whip

The entire setup consists of this mini whip connected to 60 feet of LMR 195 that goes back to my office about 40 feet away. As most of you probably know these antennas are very susceptible to noise and it took me the better part of two weeks to find a setup that worked well. Inside it did not perform well at all but I wasn't surprised as the building is covered in steel siding on all sides. I ended up putting it outside on the south gable end of the building just mounted on a wall mount about 13 feet above ground.

I still had a lot of interference traveling back to the antenna on the coax so I had to address that as well. I ended up running the cable through a ferrite core about eight times where it enters the building and then again three times in the office where it connects to the receiver. The difference was night and day, the noise floor is nice and flat now. I do think the steel siding also helped in keeping interference inside the building away from the antenna.

This is all connected to a $20 version 3 rtl receiver running in direct sampling mode. It works better than I thought however there are a lot of spurs everywhere and the signals are aliased above and below 14.4 mhz. This is just due to the rtl dongles sampling at 28.8 mhz. I did order a proper HF receiver last night, I wanted to wait until I got everything sorted out on the antenna side.
Reply With Quote
  #2031 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 2:40 PM
ridgescan's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, Ca.
Posts: 4,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_snyder View Post
I don't know if it has an exact brand name but I purchased it on ebay from a seller in London. He sells both assembled units and kits you can put together yourself but it appears his assembled listings are out of stock right now. If you search for "IP33 mini whip" you should find a listing for it.

Here's a link to his website. On that page is a link to a document that describes the specs and has some assembly instructions.

OE1GPA mini whip

The entire setup consists of this mini whip connected to 60 feet of LMR 195 that goes back to my office about 40 feet away. As most of you probably know these antennas are very susceptible to noise and it took me the better part of two weeks to find a setup that worked well. Inside it did not perform well at all but I wasn't surprised as the building is covered in steel siding on all sides. I ended up putting it outside on the south gable end of the building just mounted on a wall mount about 13 feet above ground.

I still had a lot of interference traveling back to the antenna on the coax so I had to address that as well. I ended up running the cable through a ferrite core about eight times where it enters the building and then again three times in the office where it connects to the receiver. The difference was night and day, the noise floor is nice and flat now. I do think the steel siding also helped in keeping interference inside the building away from the antenna.

This is all connected to a $20 version 3 rtl receiver running in direct sampling mode. It works better than I thought however there are a lot of spurs everywhere and the signals are aliased above and below 14.4 mhz. This is just due to the rtl dongles sampling at 28.8 mhz. I did order a proper HF receiver last night, I wanted to wait until I got everything sorted out on the antenna side.
That's great info! One more thing, if you would, can you specify what ferrite core (composition) you are using? This would complete the picture for those who may want to give your setup a go Thanks!
__________________
BC785D to Diamond D130J @50'
IcomR71A, RS DX-160 to Wellbrook loop @50'
IcomR75,
'54 SX-88 #127 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Reply With Quote
  #2032 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 6:33 PM
c_snyder's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 89
Default

The ferrite close to the antenna is a fair-rite model 2631626202. It’s a 31 mix that’s 25.4 mm inside, big enough that you can put about eight turns on it with the 195 cable. Inside the office at the receiver I transitioned to about two feet of lmr100 and a fair-rite 2631102002 12.8 mm inside diameter ferrite. It’s just the right size to get three turns on it with the lmr 100.

I ordered these from mouser and you do have to pay shipping but if you order multiples or other things it’s not too bad. Some people have luck with the ft-240-31 ferrites but in this case I had too much interference and needed the bigger one. It’s quite impressive how much interference there is in a house / office!
Reply With Quote
  #2033 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 9:11 PM
ridgescan's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, Ca.
Posts: 4,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_snyder View Post
The ferrite close to the antenna is a fair-rite model 2631626202. Itís a 31 mix thatís 25.4 mm inside, big enough that you can put about eight turns on it with the 195 cable. Inside the office at the receiver I transitioned to about two feet of lmr100 and a fair-rite 2631102002 12.8 mm inside diameter ferrite. Itís just the right size to get three turns on it with the lmr 100.

I ordered these from mouser and you do have to pay shipping but if you order multiples or other things itís not too bad. Some people have luck with the ft-240-31 ferrites but in this case I had too much interference and needed the bigger one. Itís quite impressive how much interference there is in a house / office!
Thanks for all this. Honestly I personally needed to know about the ferrite cores-I might get them for my Wellbrook.
__________________
BC785D to Diamond D130J @50'
IcomR71A, RS DX-160 to Wellbrook loop @50'
IcomR75,
'54 SX-88 #127 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Reply With Quote
  #2034 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 9:22 PM
mbott's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Delaware County OH EN80nd
Posts: 212
Default

I've dealt here without complaint.

Ferrite Products for RF Chokes, Baluns, and RFI Mitigation
Attached Images
 
__________________
2 Star Roamers ICF-2010 ATS-909X IC-R75 & IC-7300 PL-660 R-1000 & R-5000 FRG-7 RSP2 HF+ NRD-535D GP-5/SSB RF Pro-1B ALA1530LNP
Reply With Quote
  #2035 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Default

1505 UTC
5980 Radio New Zealand in English

Heard loud and clear in Kodiak, AK, nice clear cold morning with my Tecsun PL660, no external antenna needed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions