log your SW catches here:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

I haven't heard that one yet, good catch! I enjoy tuning stations in from those 'closed' countries such as North Korea, Cuba, China, etc. Radio Moscow was a good one back in the day. I'm sure there are some cool targets out of Africa from some very troubled countries.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is where online lists such as the DXLD (which provides much of the data for the popular World of Radio program by Glenn Hauser) and the NASWA Yahoo group becomes very useful for up to the minute (well, as much as can be had by a reflector, anyway) news and tips. In addition, the Africa and LA station list, though not as timely, can be quite useful. All of these resources are in the SWL monitoring article in our wiki (which is linked in the pulldown, by the way, under 'HF Topics') 73 Mike

ridgescan

I haven't heard that one yet, good catch! I enjoy tuning stations in from those 'closed' countries such as North Korea, Cuba, China, etc. Radio Moscow was a good one back in the day. I'm sure there are some cool targets out of Africa from some very troubled countries.
I remember RM too-I get Voice of Russia late afternoon here on I think 7.335-they have a relay pointed at us in Guyana...VOA does an African segment I have heard on weekends:)
This is where online lists such as the DXLD (which provides much of the data for the popular World of Radio program by Glenn Hauser) and the NASWA Yahoo group becomes very useful for up to the minute (well, as much as can be had by a reflector, anyway) news and tips. In addition, the Africa and LA station list, though not as timely, can be quite useful. All of these resources are in the SWL monitoring article in our wiki (which is linked in the pulldown, by the way, under 'HF Topics') 73 Mike
Thanks Mike-that's going to help:)

ridgescan

..this has to be the most abrupt signoff of a shorwave station ever:D
PS-I caught this at 6:56 A.M. PST-forgot to say morning:)

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I should have mentioned that you need to be a NASWA member to join that group. I have been since the early 80s, so I don't even think about it :.>> One of the member benefits... 73 Mike

Shortwavewave

LOL That was kinda funy.... ¿that was offley abrubt? I had to listen a few times to even figure out what you were talking about.

ridgescan

I caught this one just before 1300 zulu-it is another transmission from north korea. As the hour rolled over it continued broadcasting-so you have at least a two-hour window to try this DX:)

SCPD

QRT
It's hard to confirm but I believe I'm hearing Radio Mauritania on 4845khz @ 0800z (4/1/09)

It's very weak and I'm dealing with adjacent interference but I'm able to discern what sounds like Arabic.

If this is that station, this would be my first African contact. Woot!

-Nick,
Seattle, WA

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would have thought this not possible, since I thought Mauritania is in full daylight by then, but I see a few logs of this in that time period in the NASWA group, so it might be. 73 Mike

Last edited:

ridgescan

BBC to Europe caught at 1533z. I love the BBC news on SW-you will hear news pertaining to parts of the world that you will never hear on regular media here, of course because they are reporting to the people affected by that news. This is what makes SW radio so great!:)

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Yeah, I remember the first time I heard The BBC. During New Year's eve of 1999 I recorded hours of shortwave broadcasts from around the world including The BBC. Some of the news was about Y2K and the first millennium baby born in Australia.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Might I suggest not putting pix of your rx when making a report - it really doesn't add anything to the discussion, and some firewalls - such as those here at SSA - block them anyway.

Do note the time (preferably in UTC - better known in the old days as GMT) frequency, ID of the station if you know or hear it (and if you don't, say that, too...) and any pertinent language/programming notes.

I've been a member of almost all the major SWBC clubs (with the exception of the ASWLC) over the years, and they've all basically put this down as a 'guideline' for logs. In addition if you think you know who the station is, but aren't sure - say so. Nothing wrong with a logical guess, especially if the language is unfamiliar to you. One notation that's pretty widely used - and is in NASWA - is putting a '(p)' after the frequency to indicate that you are presuming this is the station ID, but aren't sure.

This information will make it much more useful to anyone looking at your notes 73 Mike

Last edited:

ridgescan

It's hard to confirm but I believe I'm hearing Radio Mauritania on 4845khz @ 0800z (4/1/09)

It's very weak and I'm dealing with adjacent interference but I'm able to discern what sounds like Arabic.

If this is that station, this would be my first African contact. Woot!

-Nick,
Seattle, WA
Nick have you heard it since? I have been trying at different times, 0800z is waaaaay past my bedtime. That was a great catch:)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here in the East, Mauritania is a nearly constant visitor in the late afternoons - say around 2200 or 2300 - into the early evening periods, particularly in the winter and early spring. Goes to show you what 3500km of distance does to propagation 73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
Yes I think I'm getting it fairly early in the evening as well. It's very weak however. I seem to get a lot of random RTTY popping up next to that freq however.

I listened one night at around 2300 local and I think I was hearing the morning prayer. Even with my DX Preamp it's very weak.

-Nick

SCPD

QRT
I just saw on the news that N. Korean launched their missile finally. I was listening to 9335khz this morning (8am PDT.) Signal was very strong... it normally isn't even at my QTH. I wonder if they stepped it up a bit just for the launch. ;)

It's very interesting listening to their "news" if you can call it that.

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.