Most Coveted Shortwave Broadcaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDXWA

I'll start a new topic...

What is the most coveted English (or any language Broadcast Station) that you always wanted to pick up, but never could before. I always wanted to pick up All India Radio and so far I have never received that station. What about everyone else?

Markef

All India Radio

This is always a difficult catch because they don't broadcast to North America directly. Go to the web site of ALL INDIA RADIO and look at their frequency list and see what you might be able to pick up. If their antennas do not point across the Pacific the Rockey Mountains may block or hinder the signal to Vancouver for their broadcast to Europe. Other factors may play into receiving the signal. There list says nothing on North America. I live in Texas and can here them sometimes. When I lived in California the broadcast beamed to Europe from Asia were harder to receive. World Radio TV Handbook may help for what you want. I have an old Yaesu FRG-7 that works just like new. I bought it new and have never needed another rig. Good Luck

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The best way to tackle this issue is a little research - I would start by asking on the ASWLC yahoo mailing list (even though they're based in California, it's close enough to give you some general hints as to where to look) or join up with the dxer.ca crowd as mentioned previously. Try to find logs from folks in your general area of the world. Get a good antenna (preferably) outdoors and away from the home (to avoid noise sources as best you can) and you will improve your chances. 73 Mike

a29zuk

What is the most coveted English (or any language Broadcast Station) that you always wanted to pick up, but never could before. I always wanted to pick up All India Radio and so far I have never received that station. What about everyone else?

I've always had better luck getting All India Radio in the late fall and winter time. My logs show:

10/28/08 11620 at 2215z
12/13/08 9690 at 1330z
12/21/08 11620 at 1800z

11620 has been a mainstay for many years as I remember listening to it in the early 80's at about that same time around 2200z.

Good Luck,
Jim

k9rzz

I was listening to them on 11620khz at 1930z today. English to Europe. Kinda weak, but they would come up to good levels at times. Over winter I heard them really well on 9445khz: 2:54 in my video YouTube - Shortwave DXpedition - Project: Clam Lake

I'd like to hear North Korea, haven't yet.

Armed Forces (AFRTS) used to broadcast from Antarctica on 6012khz ... that one got away from me. Never heard them.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, the McMurdo station is a toughie. I think they moved up to 6025 some time ago, but I can't recall whether they've been reported on the air lately.

Anyway, I've always wished I could hear an Indonesian or Chinese regional station. Heck I'd even settle for the Voice of Indonesia, but their service is erratic in the best of times. In the Latin American area, I'd love to hear a Bolivian or Uruguay (a country very seldom reported) station. Bolivians are a real toughie - poor transmitters and even worse antennas - it's been done, but very very hard to hear. Thailand (direct not via the VOA relay) is another one that on the East Coast, at least, isn't easy.

73 Mike

Last edited:

a29zuk

I was listening to them on 11620khz at 1930z today. English to Europe. Kinda weak, but they would come up to good levels at times. Over winter I heard them really well on 9445khz: 2:54 in my video YouTube - Shortwave DXpedition - Project: Clam Lake

I'd like to hear North Korea, haven't yet.

Armed Forces (AFRTS) used to broadcast from Antarctica on 6012khz ... that one got away from me. Never heard them.

Heard North Korea about a week and a half ago.
Try:
11710 at 1300z

Good Luck,
Jim

dxace1

Without a doubt it was Falklands -- I remember the first logging of the station back in the early 70's, I think it was on 3,958 khz heard in the U.S. Southwest. It wasn't until the 1980's and their move to 2380 that I was able to pick them up with fairly decent signals East coast. That QSL is safely tucked away.

Of course, the station that seemingly no one has reported -- although there may be someone somewhere who claims to have heard them -- is/was Tristan Da Cunha.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Stations whose names I haven't heard in the better part of 30 years. Wow does that bring back memories - and from an old NASWAn, no doubt. Never had a chance at either of them, sadly.

73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
Speaking of the 70s, wouldn't it be fun to go back in time to WW2 and bring our SW radios with us... could you imagine how much cool stuff we could hear back then! ;)

LarryMax

Premium Subscriber
What about that station on some island out in the Atlantic that only broadcasts one day a year. I just can't think of it right now.

I barely heard it last year, they were playing "wind beneath my wings". Never did send off for the qsl card.

I believe there was a thread about it on here.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You are undoubtedly talking about the St Helena special broadcast that happens once a year - and yes, it will happen again. Some preliminary stuff is being floated out there right now. More as it gets more firm and more widely checked.

73 Mike

dxace1

St Helena

What about that station on some island out in the Atlantic that only broadcasts one day a year. I just can't think of it right now.

I barely heard it last year, they were playing "wind beneath my wings". Never did send off for the qsl card.

I believe there was a thread about it on here.

You're talking about Radio St Helena, which will
have its 2009 broadcast this November.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
For me, I would say it was Radio Cook Islands, which ran 500 watts on 11760 KHz. I did get a QSL card from them for a reception report from Indiana way back in either the 70s or 80s. I have that card somewhere in a box. One of these days I might run across it, I hope!

briruphud

I remember the first logging of the station back in the early 70's, I think it was on 3,958 khz heard in the U.S. Southwest. It wasn't until the 1980's and their move to 2380 that I was able to pick them up with fairly decent signals East coast. That QSL is safely tucked away.

Drafin

You are undoubtedly talking about the St Helena special broadcast that happens once a year - and yes, it will happen again. Some preliminary stuff is being floated out there right now. More as it gets more firm and more widely checked.

73 Mike

According to wikipedia:

Radio saint Helena Day 2009 will be on 14th November.

and

...provides a local radio service that has a range of about 100 km from the island, and also broadcasts internationally on Shortwave Radio (11092.5 kHz) on one day a year

Draf

Status
Not open for further replies.