Glen Hauser logs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

I've never understood this after years of seeing it, so I'll ask!

What does [non] and [and non] mean in his logs??

Hard-Core-DX.com - Probably the best DX site in the world

** SUDAN [non]. 13840 good in unknown language, July 24 at 0513. That`s R. Dabanga via Madagascar at 0430-0527, 330 degrees. Should have heard jingle IDs as before if I had listened a little longer. Was also getting VOA Kurdish via same on 15380; see U S A [non] (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. 9410, BBC Mundo via WHRI, Friday July 24 listened to last few minutes 1253-1300* when playing music fill not classical, but jazzed up Gershwin, etc., medley on flute, clarinet with orchestra. At least it`s not the top-20 as on Tue and Thu (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. VOA, 9760 via PHILIPPINES, July 24 at 1320 found Dan Robinson with report on a hearing about USG external broadcasting, including whether replacing SW with internet in Russian was a good idea. Here`s the full story:

SCPD

QRT
I've never understood this after years of seeing it, so I'll ask!

What does [non] and [and non] mean in his logs??

Hard-Core-DX.com - Probably the best DX site in the world

** SUDAN [non]. 13840 good in unknown language, July 24 at 0513. That`s R. Dabanga via Madagascar at 0430-0527, 330 degrees. Should have heard jingle IDs as before if I had listened a little longer. Was also getting VOA Kurdish via same on 15380; see U S A [non] (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. 9410, BBC Mundo via WHRI, Friday July 24 listened to last few minutes 1253-1300* when playing music fill not classical, but jazzed up Gershwin, etc., medley on flute, clarinet with orchestra. At least it`s not the top-20 as on Tue and Thu (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. VOA, 9760 via PHILIPPINES, July 24 at 1320 found Dan Robinson with report on a hearing about USG external broadcasting, including whether replacing SW with internet in Russian was a good idea. Here`s the full story:

Why don't you just email him and ask him. He is a nice enough guy. It has been so long since I heard him or read his reports I have forgotten.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Glenn tends to put that on most all logs that are countries relayed from other countries. A common enough occurrence these days - a lot of broadcasters swap time to cover other areas they could not more easily reach. For example, the Sudan logging...

Why the 'non' tags I have no idea. He's been doing it for a very long time. 73 Mike

k9rzz

Here's his reply:

Since logs are sorted by country of origin, any deviation from that needs some notation. [non] can refer to several things, including: log is from a relay in another country. Or log is a clandestine or `target` broadcast TO the country rather than from it.

[and non] means the item refers to broadcast from the country and ALSO one of the above. Or some other country is also mentioned in the item, such as interference, or somehow related to the main item

This still makes no sense to me and I asked for further clarification.

Last edited:

k9rzz

Thanks for the clarification Glenn, but I give up.

>
> So does [non] =
> "notation" ? and [and non] =
> multiple notations???

No. [non] means negative. [and non] means the item could be separated into two items, one with no notation, and the other with [non]. Such as it concerns broadcasts from the home country and relays as well.

>
> Am still not clear on
> this.

To me this is merely a matter of applying logic to the facts of a particular item. I don`t know how I can explain it any more clearly except perhaps by taking my latest log report and trying to explain exactly why I put [non] or not with each item.

Status
Not open for further replies.