US Shortwave radio work overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

Hello,

I need a radio that will work for a kid overseas (likely Africa) but not exactly sure. Would one of the following radios work for SW listening?

Eton FR350
Kaito KA008

Or any other radio recommendations ($30 or less). It needs to be self sufficient as far as power (hand crank or solar) because I am not sure they have electricity where this radio is going. Weather resistant a plus.

Thanks!

ab3a

Yb-400

Hello,

I need a radio that will work for a kid overseas (likely Africa) but not exactly sure. Would one of the following radios work for SW listening?

Eton FR350
Kaito KA008

Or any other radio recommendations ($30 or less). It needs to be self sufficient as far as power (hand crank or solar) because I am not sure they have electricity where this radio is going. Weather resistant a plus.

Thanks!

Years ago, I gave my sister a YB-400 to take with her while she served in the Peace Corp in West Africa. Except for the fact that it ate batteries, she loved it. It became an important source of news for her and her village while the current regime underwent a coup.

I don't know if those radios will suffice or not. I would tend to purchase a better radio, but that's just me. Batteries can usually be purchased, even in remote areas.

Squad10

I took a KA008 with me to Nigeria and it worked well at the hotel I stayed at. All four power functions worked to my satisfaction when I tested them before travel. I think the US military ordered thousands of them for their own use or to hand out to in country civilians, I forget. Kaito is a good company. I suggest calling them and ask for the tech support person, he is a HAM and is very knowledgeable about all the equipment they offer. He may be able to recommend a receiver best suited for your needs.

k9rzz

I have the Eton FR350. It is a very good AM/FM/SW receiver and works very well on all the shortwave bands. They are quite water resistant because they have a rubber gasket that is glued in between the two halves of the radio. I cannot comment on the built in hand crank generator because I had bought mine on ebay knowing that that feature was busted and it turned out that several of the teeth in the gears were busted (so crank gently!). From what I have read though, that hand cranked power works very well. The FR350 does run very nicely off of three AA batteries that I'm sure could be charged with a solar cell quite nicely if the hand crank should malfunction. I recommend the Eton FR350.

Status
Not open for further replies.