NFM Broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Well, with the really great 11m DX comes the N-FM broadcast stations.

From my QTH in Seattle @ 4pm local, I'm picking up:

25910khz NFM WBAP in Forth Worth, TX (820AM and 96.7FM) (Talk radio)
25990khz NFM KSCS in Arlington, TX (Country Music)

Be sure to set your BW to 10khz

Check the usual BCB cheat sheet for a station list. I'd suspect folks in the SE USA might get some really good propagation.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Spaceweather reports a M-class flare with an ejection - it says that it won't hit us directly, more likely a glancing blow. Right now the flux level is 143 - an extremely high value, given we've been stuck in the 80s and 90s until recently.

Enjoy it while it lasts...Mike

SCPD

QRT
Mike, from 26.5 to 29.0 Mhz, it looks like a sideways Christmas tree on my Icom's spectrum scope. This is great! :D

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ridge if your scanner(s) go down to 25 mhz or so, you have a shot at it. Just be sure to reprogram frequencies you find in narrow FM mode

I used to do this all the time with an old Pro-2004 and a preamp with a homebuilt ground plane. Worked pretty well for the lashed-up setup

best regards..Mike

k9rzz

Shoot I've got that already:( probably missed out but will try in the morning-thanks k9:)

Those mountains may make that path harder for you. You'll probably pick up a bunch of Mexican taxi cabs or something however. Set that scanner of yours for the VHF-LO band if 10 and 11 meters is open. We're coming up on the 'spring E's season'.

ridgescan

Ridge if your scanner(s) go down to 25 mhz or so, you have a shot at it. Just be sure to reprogram frequencies you find in narrow FM mode

I used to do this all the time with an old Pro-2004 and a preamp with a homebuilt ground plane. Worked pretty well for the lashed-up setup

best regards..Mike

Those mountains may make that path harder for you. You'll probably pick up a bunch of Mexican taxi cabs or something however. Set that scanner of yours for the VHF-LO band if 10 and 11 meters is open. We're coming up on the 'spring E's season'.

For some reason I totally missed both of your posts here-sorry, and thank you both for the suggestions. I tried these on both scanners in FM and NFM modes and got nothing-apparently the D130J alone wasn't enough, the good old longwire and 71A (in FM mode) score again:D

majoco

Stirrer
Plenty of noise on the loudmouth channel 6 with the occasional burst of recognisable speech but no BC stations heard on 11m.

ridgescan

Plenty of noise on the loudmouth channel 6 with the occasional burst of recognisable speech but no BC stations heard on 11m.
LOL they haven't changed one little inch since 1974! Same voices, same inflection, same verbage, same overmod-unreal! Probably still have the Eldorado with a blown motor and whipped springs in the drive sprouting weeds from the vinyl top and still sporting a rusty K-40 mount:D
I ran past the 27meg and they were slammin my meter!

ridgescan

I have WBAP Fort Worth again today on 25910khz FM super strong signal at +20 over. Broadcastong Shawn Hannity's show at the moment.
I al

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Signal on 25.995 FM-N but not enough to demodulate cleanly. The good ole boys still yelling on Ch6 and the Tijuana Taxis on all sorts of funny freqs!

ridgescan

Signal on 25.995 FM-N but not enough to demodulate cleanly. The good ole boys still yelling on Ch6 and the Tijuana Taxis on all sorts of funny freqs!
Martin you got it there?? Damn that is a GOOD run for you!
lol Tijuana Taxis..I caught another term for them on TV in Havana they call the old American car taxis "yank tanks" which is clever:)

majoco

Stirrer
Ch40 USB 27.405MHz - Australians having a QSO with some US West Coasters that pop up and fade away.

ridgescan

I have KSCS 25990khz FM/HF Arlington, Texas playing country on the R75 for the last hour-I like it! There is something about getting country music from Texas piping in here in SF. Sort of a "southern comfort" feeling with the added bonus of it being a DX off the longwire:) This station gives a better variety of more genuine country than the phony single country station here called "young country". Just another neat thing about SWL.

Status
Not open for further replies.