newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilly1980

Let me preface this by saying I know NOTHING about short wave radio. I have a portable SW receiver (Radio Shack PLL) and was wondering if there was anything useful I could monitor with this. It's battery operated and has a collapsable antenna (approx. 20"). Thanks for any input.

Gilly1980

I looked at the link. Lots of interesting stuff there, but not the answer I am looking for. Maybe I didn't phrase my question properly.

Will I be able to receive anything worthwhile using the stock collapsable antenna?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The model number would help...on HF, you'd probably be able to get the stronger stations like the VoA and BBC..but let's see the radio first.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
YES...you will be able to receive interesting stuff. And YES, you did not phrase the question properly. The stock antenna will allow reception of the stronger of the signals on shortwave. If you can add an outside antenna or even wire strung along the ceiling you will receive even more signals. Many of them you won't find interesting, but if reading the Wiki piqued your interest for certain stations, tune to that frequency at the proper time of day and sit back and determine just what you can hear.

home121

Hello we might be able to help more if we new how much it cost, lets face it if its a 19.99 dollar job its not going to do diddley.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This model number corresponds to an old Optimus AM/FM/TV/SW multi band portable that covers 3.8-12.5 mhz. In broadcasting terms (in North America, anyway), that would include the 49, 41, 31 and 25 meter bands. There are transmissions in certain segments of the bands (like 3.8-4.0 mhz) that use a mode that the radio won't copy, and will sound like distorted voice.

These 2 links from DXing.com will help explain the bands a little bit.

Frequency Vs Wavelength

Tuning 150 kHz to 30 MHz

Due to how the sun interacts with the upper regions of our atmosphere known as the ionosphere, certain bands are open during the day, others at night. As we get closer to the summer months, the 25 m band will begin to stay open later and later. 31 is something of a transition band - it can be open day or night, depending on exactly where the signal happens to be coming from at the time. 41 and 49 are primarily nite time bands.

You would probably benefit from a very short wire clipped to the whip - however don't make it too long, or overloading will likely result. This is easy to spot - stations showing up in odd parts of the dial are a prime indicator. 10 or 15 foot tops.

As for stations - this greatly depends on what time of day or night you are listening, and what the time is at the target station. In general, for you to have a chance at hearing a station, both you and the station must be in the same daylight zone; either both in darkness, or both in daylight. This is deliberately a broad generarlization; this can be a fairly complex topic, but you really don't need a degree in solar physics to understand it. This website gives a pretty good introduction into the topic of HF propagation...

Propagation Primer - Flash Movie by AE4RV

Make sure you have your Flash software up and running.

I think that's enough for now - please feel free to ask more questions - that radio will allow you to hear the stronger stations such as the V of America, BBC, Iran and more - but how and where to look is a much more detailed topic...(and please folks, let's not blow his mind with the master spreadsheet just yet...)

best regards..Mike

k9rzz

My turn. When you turn it on, and tune around, do you hear anything? or no? If it's working, you should hear stations in all kinds of languages around 6, 10, 12, and 15 Mhz. Also, if you tune carefully, you should hear a time station on exactly 5, 10, and 15 Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.