Shortwave DXing Tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

Post 'em here!

NASWA database tip: I just learned this one. Let's say I want to listen to Iran, what are the times and frequencies that they are on? Open up the NASWA database (I use Open Office), at the top, go to DATA -> FILTER -> AUTOFILTER. Then, at the top of the country column, pull down to IRAN.

PRESTO! All times and frequencies from the country of IRAN!

When you're done, you can go to EDIT -> UNDO FILTER.

sKiZo

Hmmmmmmmm

Somewhat related ...

Check all your wall warts. Unplug them one at a time and see if it makes any difference on reception, background noise, interference, etc. I recently found a couple bad ones that were playing all kinds of strange games with my receivers. Pure dumb luck - just happened to be dialed in on a weaker station and playing around with some other equipment. What the ... hey!

Of course, if your receiver is running off a wall wart, unplugging that one would assuredly make the most difference, but you wouldn't be accomplishing much ... <G>

Since then, I've also invested in an isobar line conditioner and beefed up the ground. Really cleaned it up.

Not sure if this is news or not, but if you're into strange, the pirate broadcasters tend to congregate around 40m (7000-7300). I've caught them all the way down to 6875. I'll usually wander over that way around sundown if I've got the radio on just to see what kind of bizarro stuff is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.