Wolverine Radio On 6925 KHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niagaraeye

Wolverine Radio is currently a solid signal into the Niagara Region of Southern Ontario, averaging S8-S9 with periodic minor fading. Tuned in tonight (Feb. 26) at 01:29 UTC. So far a selection of Led Zeppelin, Hollies,Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan.

Niagaraeye

Wolverine Radio appears to have concluded their broadcast at 01:56 UTC with a typical SSTV signal; which is usually the end of the show. However at 01:58, I heard a somewhat weaker signal, containing a male voice laughing and saying something like "we do listen to you", followed by the Ram Jam song "Black Betty". I'm guessing, but I don't believe that the second signal originated with Wolverine Radio. Things appear busy out there tonight, because at circa 02:04, after a gap of a couple of minutes, yet another broadcaster signed on with theme music from the old Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock shows and someone using the occasional "pirate speak "yarrrr". This latter signal is much weaker, than the other two, barely over the S5 noise floor here in an urban environment. Caught "Captain Morgan" ID at 02:18 UTC.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re the SSTV Wolverine usually sends- there are several freeware packages that copy this, but by far one of the most popular is MM-SSTV, and it can be found here...

MMSSTV - MM HamSoft

Be sure to float your mouse over the left menu, where there are various how-tos that will also help...best regards..Mike

Niagaraeye

Checked back on 6925 upper at 03:09 UTC and Wolverine Radio has reappeared with an outstanding signal, here in Niagara S9-+10. Peter Tosh's "Johnny B. Good" and Fine Young Cannibals "Johnny Come Home". I'm suspecting a "Johnny" theme is now in progress, in usual Wolverine "themed" program style. Checked again at 03:30 and program had finished.

Last edited:

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
However at 01:58, I heard a somewhat weaker signal, containing a male voice laughing and saying something like "we do listen to you", followed by the Ram Jam song "Black Betty".

What you heard was a live announcement by the operator of Wolverine Radio commenting on a listener's song request made in the #pirateradio chat. Rarely does the Wolverine op make a "live appearance", at least based on the many times I've listened to the station.

Lots of pirate activity that night and nice band conditions.

Niagaraeye

Thanks for the the tip on the origin of that signal kilokat7, it's appreciated. Its relative "weakness" must have been related to brief fading going on at that moment. It's good to hear that I was lucky enough to catch a "live" transmission in that context, thank you for letting me know that.

Token

What you heard was a live announcement by the operator of Wolverine Radio commenting on a listener's song request made in the #pirateradio chat. Rarely does the Wolverine op make a "live appearance", at least based on the many times I've listened to the station.

Same here, very, very, seldom heard the Wolverine Op live. Did you hear the other pirate op in there talking to and thanking Wolverine between his first off time and coming back up for Black Betty?

T!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I see some puzzlement here easily explained if I'm not stating the obvious. Most being hams with the VFO jammed to the bottom of the 40M band and using transceivers they listen to each other. Eh, good way to avoid broadcasting blind and stomping on each other. That's why most are SSB which sucks raw eggs, you need a good boat anchor station with a modified audio section in the transmitter and broadcast style processor for a good sounding AM signal. Then many of them know each other so there's a lot of "relaying" going on, you may be hearing a recording broadcast by another station altogether so you really never know what you're tuned into.

We are pirates, pirates rule the waves.
Pirates always will make you our slaves.
Hail Britannia! AAARRR! Keep listening or ye'll walk the plank ye scurvy dog!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.