Wewn/etwn

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDiablo

Early this morning 0800UTC/4 AM EDT,I was able to listen to WEWN/EWTN on the frequency of 11520 but it was directed towards Africa.What are the chances of that?Is it because of the atmospher?

Token

Early this morning 0800UTC/4 AM EDT,I was able to listen to WEWN/EWTN on the frequency of 11520 but it was directed towards Africa.What are the chances of that?Is it because of the atmospher?

I would say the chances were pretty good for two reasons, number one you heard it, so that makes it a 100% chance, and number two they transmit out of Vandiver Alabama, not very far from you at all.

Remember, even if a program is "aimed" at a location other locations will still hear it. The "beam" is not all that tight when you get right down to it, but even when you are not in the broad beam the sidelobes and backlobes often have significant energy. And in this case them beaming 085 from AL to Africa would have put the energy pretty close to right on you anyway.

T!

SCPD

QRT
Token is correct in that you were likely picking up a side lobe of the antenna transmission -- but remember one thing... we're talking about 250,000 watts of power here! Even a fraction of that power is quite powerful!

Most HAMs can talk around the country (and sometimes multiple countries when conditions are good) on just 100 watts of power.

Token

Nick, it may not have been a sidelobe at all. This transmission was directed 085 degrees true for its coverage. The source is Vandiver Alabama. The listener is in Columbia South Carolina. The direction to Columbia from Vandiver is roughly 085 deg true. He was probably squarely in the main beam.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.