Broadcast on 40 meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
I was testing out my new auto tuner on 40 meters, to see how it'd work with my 40m dipole down on the ground right now. I happened to tun to 7.220MHz and found this. On my radio directly as an AM carrier, but on SDR# it showed up as DSB signal. No idea what this is, but I'm guessing maybe Cuba? Like I said my dipole is on the ground right now thanks to Sandy, I'm in SE Florida not far from Ft. Lauderdale.

Whatever it was:
Playing 40 Meters 01:30am EST by Unknown - picosong

Token

I was testing out my new auto tuner on 40 meters, to see how it'd work with my 40m dipole down on the ground right now. I happened to tun to 7.220MHz and found this. On my radio directly as an AM carrier, but on SDR# it showed up as DSB signal. No idea what this is, but I'm guessing maybe Cuba? Like I said my dipole is on the ground right now thanks to Sandy, I'm in SE Florida not far from Ft. Lauderdale.

Whatever it was:
Playing 40 Meters 01:30am EST by Unknown - picosong

There are several possibilities, but the one I think is most likely is Radio Romania International, as ridge pointed out. It is on that freq from 0500 – 0600 UTC. Speaking of UTC, when you report a time like 0130 EST it is always possible someone looking at that, but not in the same time zone, might make an error converting to UTC. By convention times on forums like this are most often given already converted to UTC, on the thought that you know your offset from UTC better than someone from say Sri Lanka might know it.

I am not sure what you mean by the signal was an AM carrier on your radio directly but on SDR# it was an DSB signal. Typical SW broadcast are in AM, most commonly Full DSB with carrier, although a few use SSB or SSB + carrier (suppressed sideband AM). If you are saying that in SDR# you did not see a carrier but did see both sidebands, is it possible that the carrier was being notched out by the software and you were not seeing it?

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.