China Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel8802

Hi All,

I currently have an amazing signal on 9570khz in NJ. The current program is from China Radio.. I am relatively new to shortwave and I am trying to find out if this is an original broadcast from China, or if it is be rebroadcasted to a transmitter in the US that I am picking up. I'm assuming that there is no way to figure out what transmitter it is coming from? Thanks!

majoco

Stirrer
Don't they sometimes re-broadcast from the (now redundant) Radio Canada transmitters at Sackville?

Ryangn

Ridgescan is more than likely correct however I have received them also from their Albania relay although not as strong as Cuba.

majoco

Stirrer
It's hard to ignore them, they are all over the place. Fortunately most of the transmissions are in scribble language which I don't understand... :)

I notice that the occasional broadcast is in English spoken by a guy with an American accent - is this supposed to make you feel that it's "real" and "truthful"?

Boombox

To the OP: If you heard China Radio International between 1300-1357 UTC, it was probably from Havana.

Short-Wave Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH at 02:21GMT

Great site, just use the pull down menus at top to find China Radio International and English.

RE: the "network" of Chinese broadcasts in the U.S., I don't see the problem. Many public radio stations broadcast the BBC all night, and no one complains about that. Granted, the BBC has a rep for balanced and fair reporting, but it's still a foreign government's broadcast entity.

As for "who listens to these broadcasts?" -- people who tune in to AM radio, and who really listens to AM radio anymore? The station in the article is on 1190 khz.

I've heard their station in Portland, Oregon from time to time. It mainly seems to rebroadcast CRI's English programs overnight.

And it sounds like what the Chinese company G&E is doing -- at least as far as the broadcasts themselves go -- is not illegal. It's not illegal to buy time on a radio station. Religious organizations and ethnic organizations do this all the time on the AM band. The G&E rep in the article said they just pay for programming on the stations. Many AM stations have brokered programming. They have to, to stay alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.