6080 khz Buzzing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi,

The best way to describe this is by video. I recorded it on my android then uploaded to youtube. This buzzing has me curious. View it all the way then please pass the word. I cant find anything about it on Google, Yahoo, and Ask search engines. I didnt know how to categorize it because no documentation online about this.

6080khz Buzzing
https://youtu.be/HV2llmmj6kM

Token

This buzz can be found most nights on Shortwave, in fact right now (1240 UTC, Feb 15, 2016) I have one on 7480 kHz. They have been discussed on these forums before.

It has never been proven, but one theory is that they are spurious emissions form Cuban jammers. Since I have found that several of these consistently operate when Radio Marti is on air I think that is a fairly good possibility, however they do not always correlate to any known jamming. Add to that the fact that most of these I find do seem to be on the same bearing from my location as Cuba, and that is a bit more support for the theory.

Also the sound has more than a passing similarity to one of the known Cuban jammer types.

By the way, it might help if you post what time and day (in UTC preferably) you had that signal on that frequency.

T!

(edit) I might add, the signal I heard on 7480 kHz stopped at 1400 UTC, the same time the jamming of Radio Marti on 7405 kHz stopped.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I clearly say the time and date in the video. Not in utc because I want people who want to know if it's day or night at the time I hear it. This buzzing is not a product of cuban spy numbers frequencies. The priyom community should be requested to investigate it too. I'm not the one to make that kind of request. Other places like swling.com irc channel ignores it. Looks like here is the best choice

ridgescan

Yeah but the very people who are very well versed in this stuff, and are who you really need to respond and investigate, such as Token, operate with UTC time. BTW Token is pretty much the last word on stuff like this and you luckily got his response first.

SCPD

QRT
Very well then. It was between 1000z-1100z when I heard it while scanning areas of nothing. i always do that. Hooked on it.

Maybe we can name it "North American Buzzer" or "The Insidious Buzz". Maybe if it pops up on a new frequency we can log it on this thread. Ill mention UTC and local time.

(edit) On 6080khz at 1030z was two stations I couldn't hear. I remember Radio Marti using 7490khz.

screenshot attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-15-16-39-01.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-15-16-39-01.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Token

I clearly say the time and date in the video. Not in utc because I want people who want to know if it's day or night at the time I hear it. This buzzing is not a product of cuban spy numbers frequencies. The priyom community should be requested to investigate it too. I'm not the one to make that kind of request. Other places like swling.com irc channel ignores it. Looks like here is the best choice

You say the time and date 4 minutes into a 6 minute and 10 second long video. I did not listen to the entire thing as I knew what signal you had in the first 10 seconds and there was little reason for me to hear more of the grind. And I had no way of knowing that (if) you would eventually say the date and time. Labeling the video is the best course of action, what if someone else is using the search feature of YouTube to try and find a signal they heard at a certain time? Your audio cannot be searched, but the text description can. If you are going to time and date in the audio I would suggest doing it right up front, before someone clicks stop for whatever reason.

Regardless, UTC is universal for radio matters. Logs and reports on HF are universally expected to be in UTC.

I did not say it was a product of a Cuban spy numbers transmission, I said a Cuban jammer was the most likely source. I specifically said it might very well be a spurious emission of a Cuban jammer (that means not on the same main frequency as the jammer, but still a result of it). Cuba employs jammers against several stations, Radio Marti is one of the most frequent targets. The jammers use combine multiple techniques at the same time, this sounds like one of the techniques used. Also, whenever this signal is on (every night and many days) you can also find a Cuban jammer in operation not far away, typically within 120 kHz. It is not unusual to find several copies of this spur around the Cuban jammer.

Also keep in mind what I said about RFDF, this signal is coming from the direction of Cuba. Or at least it has every time I have taken a direction cut on it.

Priyom will probably not look at this signal in any detail. For one, priyom is mostly a European group, and this signal is going to be hard for most of them to get a lot of detail on. But there are a few of us in priyom that are in North America. Second, it is not really the kind of thing priyom focuses on, it is not numbers or military oddity related. Of course many members of prioym are interested in all manor of radio oddities, so someone might be interested.

You can come on into the #priyom IRC on freenode.net anytime and talk about it, see if you can stir up some interest. That is one of the several radio related IRCs you can find me on most of the time. I am also in #wunclub, #swl, #pirateradio, and a few others on starchat.com, come on in.

Very well then. It was between 1000z-1100z when I heard it while scanning areas of nothing. i always do that. Hooked on it.

At that time Radio Marti would have been on 5980 kHz (that is one reason for posting in UTC, transmission schedules are published in UTC). This jammer spur being 100 kHz away fits its normal mode of operation, within 120 kHz of the jammer hitting Radio Marti.

Maybe we can name it "North American Buzzer" or "The Insidious Buzz". Maybe if it pops up on a new frequency we can log it on this thread. Ill mention UTC and local time.

The people who are already aware of it, and there are a lot, just call it the Cuban jammer sprog/spur/noise. In my log books I call it the grinder jammer.

If you do log it to this thread, I suggest also listing the closest Radio Marti frequency that is in use, and also check it to see if it is jammed. Keep in mind the jammer on Radio Marti will sound different than this, because it has all the techniques on it and this spur only has parts of the technique. But if you listen long enough to the Marti jammer you can hear this sound pattern in it.

(edit) On 6080khz at 1030z was two stations I couldn't hear. I remember Radio Marti using 7490khz.

The 6080 kHz noise, at that time, would have been a spur, an unintentional frequency, not the primary target.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.