Live SWL chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymot

Greetings.

Many moons ago, before Internet access for the masses was common, I subscribed to the GEnie online service, which was basically a huge BBS-type system using General Electric's mainframes and modem pools during their non-business hours. They had a SWL area (among many others) with live chat capabilities that were enabled by moderators/admins only at certain times.

We members used to get together on chat every Sunday night, listen to whatever we could hear, and share what we were picking up in real time. This let us compare signal strength/SINPO data so we could find out what propagation was like in different areas, have a chance to hear something we might have otherwise missed thanks to someone else pointing it out, and build a community of friends with a common interest.

I'm wondering if there's still something like that around?

jaymot

Looks like the answer is negative.

Next question: is anyone interested in such a thing? A live chatroom where SWLs can ragchew, get to know each other and share what they're currently hearing so others can try to listen too?

n0nhp

IRC
server: StarChat
#swl
Not terribly active but 20 or so usually have the window open.
If you have a question or spot, put it up and have patience most of us will check the window when we have a chance and answer if we can.
Bruce (BruceB)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
#wunclub on starchat IRC is pretty busy at times.

It is geared more towards Utility listening... but it normally has about 70 or so people, and has a very helpful lookup and logging bot as well

Token

IRC
server: StarChat
#swl
Not terribly active but 20 or so usually have the window open.
If you have a question or spot, put it up and have patience most of us will check the window when we have a chance and answer if we can.

#wunclub on starchat IRC is pretty busy at times.

It is geared more towards Utility listening... but it normally has about 70 or so people, and has a very helpful lookup and logging bot as well

Many of the same people are in #wunclub as in #swl, but most appear to be more active in #wunclub than #swl.

#swl runs in waves, it might be inactive for months and then might be very active for a few weeks, only to fall back into inactivity. However the resource is there, and if more people used it it would, of course, be more active. This has about the best potential as a real time asset for SWL of any I have seen.

T!

SCPD

QRT
#wunclub on starchat IRC is pretty busy at times.It is geared more towards Utility listening... but it normally has about 70 or so people

Well, not quite that many... ;)

There are about a dozen regulars in the USA/Canada and about that same number from international users during the USA off-hours.

I think the most active time is between 2300-0300 GMT so if you can make those hours then feel free to come online. Please use the same username from RR so we know it's you. :)

Cheers!

mbott

Premium Subscriber
There is also a #SWLing IRC channel on the Digital Addiction IRC server. This server also has a very small (but hopefully growing) #SDR channel. The #SWLing channel is attempting to deal with a few trolls at the moment, but the channel admin is working to get that resolved with as little of impact on the users.

I recommend the #SDR channel strongly to help build it's usage. :)

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.