Another wotizzit....

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
The sound is here....

https://soundcloud.com/majoco21/noise-9900khz-2200z-14-3-16-9901mhz-16-03-14-111549

and the picture is here...

On AM it's reasonably quiet, but on Sync Am and SSB it blows yer ears off! There's no NFM or FM noise at all, and the very small carrier stays stuck on 9900kHz. Right in the middle of the 30m BC band.

...the noise is still there at 0630z. It almost sounds like the pattern is rotating with a period of over two minutes. Overall it's signal strength is quite low, say S5 to S7 but if I just measure the peak it's about S9 to 10+.

Any clues? Remember I'm in the South Pacific so it could well come from Oztralia.

Last edited:

Token

This is either SuperDARN or TIGER HF radar. Normally these radars frequency hop, but occasionally they stay on one frequency for an extended period. That is what you have here.

The burst are more or less the standard burst these radars send, minus the freq hop, and you can see the power level change as the radar beam steers.

T!

majoco

Stirrer
Thanks, Token. After my 0630z session I found quite a few more weaker transmissions with the same sound right up to 17MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.