RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Shortwave Broadcast

Shortwave Broadcast - Discussions regarding shortwave broadcasters

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 5:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Yep, without religion we wouldn't have any more wars. What kind of world would that be? No need for religion in my world. . 73, n9zas
How true. And to be fighting these religious wars which we have since 2nd Iraq is pointless and unwinnable.
Sponsored links
Old 07-06-2016, 2:32 AM

The religious stations are SW holdouts, so they are a convenient target because many nights they are the only thing on the air.

Whether one likes it or not, the reason they are the only thing on the air is because the religious broadcasters still appreciate SW as a communications medium -- an appreciation many of the international broadcasters simply don't have anymore -- as made plain by the lack of VOA, BBC, VOR, Radio Nederland, Radio Canada, etc. outlets on the Shortwaves.

It's sad that HF broadcasting has come to this -- a lack of value to so many networks and countries that used to value it as a means to reach people. The religious broadcasters still do, and make a big deal about it on their websites. I'm not an aficionado but I'll sometimes tune in. It's better than hearing empty SW bands and static, which is where HF broadcasting may be in another 15 years or so. Soon enough -- we'll be DXing our neighbors' RFI.
Old 07-06-2016, 1:33 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

I don't even own a sw receiver any more, since most of the numbers stations are gone. I refuse to listen to brainwashing by religous zealots. I do miss voa, and the bbc news in english though. 73, n9zas
Old 07-06-2016, 1:56 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You're kidding, right? Lots of numbers stations reported on the UDXF Yahoo group - even the crazy Russian XPA and XPA2 stations are still there...you should get the Enigma newsletter.....HF propagation right now is pure sxxx

Mike
Old 07-06-2016, 2:45 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3jjz View Post
You're kidding, right? Lots of numbers stations reported on the UDXF Yahoo group - even the crazy Russian XPA and XPA2 stations are still there...you should get the Enigma newsletter.....HF propagation right now is pure sxxx

Mike
Mike the only antenna I had up at the time was an inverted V cut for 15 meters and I had no choice other than to run it close to the aluminum siding, so I'm sure performance was crippled. Occasionally I could hear numbers, or various english programs, but rarely anything worth keeping the antenna up. I moved so I sold my R71a. 73, n9zas
Sponsored links