Radio Cairo with listenable audio on 9965 kHz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW_Observer

What a lucky day today is! In the three years I've been listening to shortwave, I finally had the pleasure of hearing Radio Cairo's English Service with listenable audio on their standard frequency of 9965 kHz.

Signal was good, peaking at S9 +10 with the standard whine that the transmitter always has, the audio however had sufficient modulation that it could actually be understood.

23:10 UTC - Middle Eastern Music, Instrumental
23:17 UTC - Time Signal and News Bulletin, read by female announcer. Middle east news covered reports about the latest battles in Syria and other regional events, world news discussed the Panama Papers.
23:25 UTC - Program about Saudi Arabian King's visit to Egypt (the audio for this program was extremely low, despite a strong carrier, always has to be something wrong with Radio Cairo!)
23:40 UTC - Interlude of multiple Middle Eastern Instrumental tunes.
23:53 UTC - Another program, read by a female announcer with low audio.

Not perfect, but I have cherished the rare opportunity to hear a semi-listenable broadcast from Radio Cairo.

Listening in Southern New York with a Tecsun PL-660 shortwave receiver, telescopic antenna only, electrical QRM is almost nonexistent at my residence, thankfully.

markclark

Premium Subscriber
I haven't had a decent (or any) copy of Radio Cairo in about 4 years. I'm on the West coast, at one time it was strong daily over here.

ridgescan

Their carrier comes in here almost every evening very fluttery but strong at +10 to +15over 9; but besides it being mostly a dead carrier to my ear, the only audio I ever got sounded like a horsefly buzzing while dying on a window sill in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.