One measly station!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's 4:30 am eastern time zone but man that's discouraging. Only station I could find was 5025khz which I believe is Cuba? I think it is. And of course WWV at 5000khz but that should not really count. What is going on here?

majoco

Stirrer
I would have though you should have got something from the west, plenty of Chinese stuff and All India Radio broadcast through the night, WWV and WWVH boom in for me in the wee small hours but I'm to the south. You might have a fault in your antenna or the orientation could be the wrong direction.

Boombox

Poor conditions. It's probably not your antenna. It happens. Here I only got WWV on 5000, and a weak Japanese station on 6055. 5025 is usually in well, and it's barely audible this evening.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would have though you should have got something from the west, plenty of Chinese stuff and All India Radio broadcast through the night, WWV and WWVH boom in for me in the wee small hours but I'm to the south. You might have a fault in your antenna or the orientation could be the wrong direction.

Propagation from those stations is very difficult for us on the East Coast, such as the OP's location. It would be quite the catch to hear any Chinese stations here, and while AIR is audible on other frequencies, the local AIR stations are very prized catches. It's much easier on our West Coast. Better antennas are always a big help in this regard, and the OP didn't say anything about his setup.

Unfortunately the propagation gods have not been kind; the sun is generally thought to have entered an extended period of very low activity. Very sad...

Mike

pjxii

HF conditions have been really bad now that we're in the sunspot low, although I have noticed the odd decent day (notice I didn't say good day) here and there recently. Perhaps things will be a little better over the coming winter but don't expect much for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.