psk31 reception with a Grundig G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrizby

Just playing around with psk31 today, and I thought I might try to pick up some psk31 on a sw radio I have, the Grundig G5. It can handle ssb so I thought maybe it would work. Using Ham Radio Deluxe's PSK31 Deluxe, tuned to 7035, I was able to get a screen full of signals come in. That is one neat technology.

Imagine getting several lines of communication coming through on one frequency, especially when it really doesn't sound like much of anything at all.
Just connect a cable from the headphone jack on the radio to the line in on the computer. Make sure the 'line in' is set up to recieve in audio sound control, start up the program and off you go.
I do have a little homebrew long wire external antenna for the radio, and you do have to mess with ssb tuning knob a bit to get it to work, but it works. Messages falling out of the sky.

As a general guide line here are some freqs.

From tenmeter.com
Operating frequencies for PSK31

7035.15 for region 1 and region 3, and 7080.15 for region 2
21080.150 (although most activity can be found 10 kHz lower)

Not true radio DX perhaps but I was getting signals from all over the place.
Its out there, we just have to find it.

N0KMA

Yes oh yes, that little G5 is a great little rig. I picked up one when RS had them on sale and now use it as a bed side radio for listening to the ham bands. I also take it camping with me when i don't tote along one of the ham hf rigs. For some reason i love decoding the Coast Guard weather faxes. So the little G5, a Acer Aspire One mini notebook, and a length of wire keep me entertained when the family goes to bed.

I love the size of the little rig. I also love whatever that is that the case is made out of, has a real neat feel. Was wondering though how that G6 compares to the G5 as far as performance goes.

Take care ad enjoy that G5.

Todd
NØKMA

Status
Not open for further replies.