APRS Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
So i am not sure if APRS is right for me?

I am looking into getting into APRS, I am going to be making a big move right outside nashville from the bronx, It's a loooonngg way from home,

I have a Motorola MW520 and a 99 channel Maratrac, And there is an Entire community of People dedicated to Skywarn and Storm Chasing out here, and i am wondering if APRS would be something to look into?

Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms what APRS does?

I have tried to read up on it on google, but the information i get isn't much,

Any help would be much appreciated

kc4jgc

Not sure what/where you were reading; you should visit Bob Bruninga's (WB4APR) web site. He's the fellow who invented APRS. The simplest desctription would be from that site:
WB4APR said:
APRS is not a vehicle tracking system. It is a two-way tactical real-time digital communications system between all assets in a network sharing information about everything going on in the local area. On ham radio, this means if something is happening now, or there is information that could be valuable to you, then it should show up on your APRS radio in your mobile. APRS also supports global callsign-to-callsign messaging, bulletins, objects email and Voice because every local area is seen by the Internet System (APRS-IS)! APRS should enable local and global amateur radio operator contact at anytime-anywhere and using any device.

Is the skywarn/storm chasing group using APRS? Something you should check out once you get settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.