Mystic Star Presidential Global Communications System

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

screamin72

I heard the data signal on 16011khz USB

I didnt try to decode it. I read it is encrypted. Anyone else hearing it?

Sorry for the bold lettering. It happened after copy n pasting text from

Last edited by a moderator:

Token

What makes you think it is Mystic Star, and what digital mode was it?

On that frequency several organizations use digital modes. The Australians have an MHFCS freq on 16010.5 kHz, it can use ALE and other modes. The Russians have been known to plant a 100 bd, 1000 Hz shift FSK on 16011 kHz. The Egyptians have used it for a couple of digital modes. And the Polish military have used it in the past, both digital and voice.

T!

S

screamin72

What makes you think it is Mystic Star, and what digital mode was it?

On that frequency several organizations use digital modes. The Australians have an MHFCS freq on 16010.5 kHz, it can use ALE and other modes. The Russians have been known to plant a 100 bd, 1000 Hz shift FSK on 16011 kHz. The Egyptians have used it for a couple of digital modes. And the Polish military have used it in the past, both digital and voice.

T!

my antenna never received lower powered things from australia, egypt, russia, Poland. Except for 4XZ Isreal. It was a big opening for Isreal. I am going on the notion that It is something American in the mainland because it was pretty strong. Ham It Up has -10db loss in the up conversion to 125mhz. the rtl dongle has 8bit samples which isn't enough for weak HF signals. so It made sense it was american.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unlike scanning, signal strength is not necessarily an indication of location.

Where you have multiple possibilities like this, your first attempt to identify should start with the sunrise/sunset times in the Middle East. There are MANY utilities on the web (and even devoted web pages) that can show you this. Ask the same question for eastern Europe (Russia and Poland). If it's daylight in both your area, and the assumed station's location, then that's one step (but only one step) toward identifying where the station is located.

You noted that there was an opening toward Isreal - if that is correct, combining those 2 factors gives you the start - and only a start - on a possible identification

Next is to identify the mode - that's where the websites I gave earlier can help. This is yet another clue as to the identity of what you heard.. Take a snapshot of what you heard, then compare it. Granted that every receiver processes a digital sig slightly differently, and the quality of the signal will influence the accuracy of your screenshot, but it's a start.

When you get into this field, sometimes you need to be like Benson and Stabler (L & O SVU) - pick up the clues until you can put them together.

Mike

Token

First time I have had a chance to set down at the radio desk since this thread started. Searching my logs and notes I do not see 16011 kHz as a Mystic Star freq. What list are you using that calls it MS?

The digital mode I am seeing on that freq is MIL STD 188-141 ALE. The callsigns are the same as calls that I have seen on other frequencies, such as 5837 kHz. Looking at my lists neither 5837 nor 16011 kHz are listed for Mystic Star, so I am kind of doubting that is what these freqs are.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.